The Student Room Group

How to assure urself ur good looking

So im an 18yo dude at uni. Tall dark handsome and many have said. All ny friends and mutuals call me peng cute other things.

I cant bring myself to accept it because in videos and mug shots i look so ugly and on snap my half face pics r better than full faced
Original post by Anonymous
So im an 18yo dude at uni. Tall dark handsome and many have said. All ny friends and mutuals call me peng cute other things.

I cant bring myself to accept it because in videos and mug shots i look so ugly and on snap my half face pics r better than full faced

Ah yes... the old problem of having a subjective view of yourself.

The thing is, that we're always very very aware of our own little hang-ups (e.g. I have this spot on my cheek, or my six-pack isn't as sharp as it was the other day etc.), but many times these things often go either unnoticed, or they're considered not important by other people. For instance, I'm black with very dark skin, and throughout my childhood / teenage years, I always thought that this made me "ugly". However, it was one day at Uni, one girl said to me, "You know you really are gorgeous", I replied, "Really?, I think my skin's too dark" She sort of shrugged her shoulders and said "So?"

See we often blow our own imperfections way out of proportion, but other people will just look at the whole picture.

The other thing is that you may have been less attractive or overweight as a child (don't get me started on how cruel kids can be lol)... and even though you've worked hard to improve yourself you have a hard time accepting that (I call this the "Ugly-Duckling" syndrome). IF that's you, why not do a reality check? When was the last time someone has called you "Ugly?" (not including when it's banter, or if someone says that just to spite you of course).
Reply 2
When you view a video of yourself, it’s backwards to the way you normally see your own face. We see ourselves everyday in the mirror but photos and videos are how everyone else sees us. Take a selfie and flip it so it’s a mirror image, I almost guarantee you’ll prefer the flipped version.

Get a grip mate. If your friends think u r a peng ting, u r a peng ting. Big up urself, you mighty fine boi, just stop fishing for complements, u melt, JUJU X
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Ah yes... the old problem of having a subjective view of yourself.

The thing is, that we're always very very aware of our own little hang-ups (e.g. I have this spot on my cheek, or my six-pack isn't as sharp as it was the other day etc.), but many times these things often go either unnoticed, or they're considered not important by other people. For instance, I'm black with very dark skin, and throughout my childhood / teenage years, I always thought that this made me "ugly". However, it was one day at Uni, one girl said to me, "You know you really are gorgeous", I replied, "Really?, I think my skin's too dark" She sort of shrugged her shoulders and said "So?"

See we often blow our own imperfections way out of proportion, but other people will just look at the whole picture.

The other thing is that you may have been less attractive or overweight as a child (don't get me started on how cruel kids can be lol)... and even though you've worked hard to improve yourself you have a hard time accepting that (I call this the "Ugly-Duckling" syndrome). IF that's you, why not do a reality check? When was the last time someone has called you "Ugly?" (not including when it's banter, or if someone says that just to spite you of course).

Ye ive got a lil skin pigmentation and only my family noticed while others dont. Nothing i hate nout mtself. Tall, nice curls, athletic but idk im tryn be creme of the crop thats my pron

Dont think anyones called me ugly. Only once last year 2hen i actually was. I kinda glowed up but still insecure due to seeing way 2 many hot dudes. What im doing atm is chat to loads of girls. Idc how many reject me so 2 girls out of 20 done like 10 times im garunteed 20 numbers yk.

Im disgusted w myself for this but im black and all my mates and people reckon im lightskin(basically). And in videos i look darkskin and im like 'wtf i thought i was light'
Reply 5
Original post by JuJuAdviceXx
Get a grip mate. If your friends think u r a peng ting, u r a peng ting. Big up urself, you mighty fine boi, just stop fishing for complements, u melt, JUJU X

I aint fishing. I deleted my insta posts. Dint post on story snapchat only in groupchats.
Also they're mates so ofc they'l call me peng but idk
Ye ive got a lil skin pigmentation and only my family noticed while others dont. Nothing i hate nout mtself. Tall, nice curls, athletic but idk im tryn be creme of the crop thats my pron

Dont think anyones called me ugly. Only once last year 2hen i actually was. I kinda glowed up but still insecure due to seeing way 2 many hot dudes. What im doing atm is chat to loads of girls. Idc how many reject me so 2 girls out of 20 done like 10 times im garunteed 20 numbers yk.

i'd suggest just playing your own game... just concentrate on being the best version of "you" possible. Don't compare yourself to other people,you don't know their stories and / or backgrounds. They may have had significant advantages in life that you can't imagine.

Besides, not everyone is going to like exactly the same things. For instance, you may be into something like hip hop / RnB, so you know a good track when you hear it. Do you think that someone who is seriously into their rock music is going to have any (real) appreciation for that song on your level (and vice versa of course).

Im disgusted w myself for this but im black and all my mates and people reckon im lightskin(basically). And in videos i look darkskin and im like 'wtf i thought i was light'

Oi, nothing wrong with being a "darkie" mate :wink:

Different conditions and settings will make your skin appear like a different shade. For instance against a dark background, you will probably appear more light skinned than you would against a bright white background. Also, there's the effects of sun-tan... I'm assuming you've watched Love Island, Haven't you noticed how much darker the mixed-race contestants typically look when they're at the end of their stay compared to the start?
Reply 7
Original post by Old Skool Freak
i'd suggest just playing your own game... just concentrate on being the best version of "you" possible. Don't compare yourself to other people,you don't know their stories and / or backgrounds. They may have had significant advantages in life that you can't imagine.

Besides, not everyone is going to like exactly the same things. For instance, you may be into something like hip hop / RnB, so you know a good track when you hear it. Do you think that someone who is seriously into their rock music is going to have any (real) appreciation for that song on your level (and vice versa of course).

Oi, nothing wrong with being a "darkie" mate :wink:

Different conditions and settings will make your skin appear like a different shade. For instance against a dark background, you will probably appear more light skinned than you would against a bright white background. Also, there's the effects of sun-tan... I'm assuming you've watched Love Island, Haven't you noticed how much darker the mixed-race contestants typically look when they're at the end of their stay compared to the start?

true, atm im grinding gym and exams; not interested in relationships cba to waste time money effort

never have and will watch that **** show tbh.
na idm being darkskin. just that most boys who are fetishized are lightskins tbh.
true, atm im grinding gym and exams; not interested in relationships cba to waste time money effort

na idm being darkskin. just that most boys who are fetishized are lightskins tbh.

tbhhh its 2020 lmao it doesn't matter if your darksin or lightskin buttt in my opinon... darksins are winning.

I'll remind you that you said this in a couple of years time :lol:

Fair enough.

The only point I was making was that the sun-tans / skin changes are most obvious on the mixed race people there (compared to the white and black contestants IMHO).

Well the way I see it, being light-skinned is basically the black equivalent of being blonde. You may or may not like blondes, but I'm sure you've not noticed a shortage of good looking brunettes have you? Not to mention any other ethnic groups. .

I think that's another issue, that we're often judging ourselves by the western idea of beauty, and we can neglect the things that are classically good looking.

Do you have good facial symmetry and proportions? Do you have cheek-bones? Do you have a smile? Do you carry yourself in a confident manner? Well the above are all things that are associated with good looking people... it's all well and good people saying you're "fit", "Peng" etc.. but if they comment of specific features about you, then it validates their opinion a whole lot more (IMHO).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending