Dropping out of house because of a year abroad - can I get my deposit back

Watch
Silly Sausage
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am dropping out of a house that I signed for before confirmation that I would be going on my year abroad. There is a replacement tenant who is willing to sign the contract and take over from my obligations etc. However, the estate agents/landlord are unwilling for me to claim back my deposit or even simply transfer this deposit over to the new tenant - they are saying I am not able to have my deposit back and they wish to charge the replacement tenant a deposit too. I'm stuck because I don't know what my rights are as a tenant and whether I am able to claim this deposit back. I thought I could just transfer everything to the new tenant and he would be able to sort of 'buy' the deposit off of me.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Silly Sausage)
I am dropping out of a house that I signed for before confirmation that I would be going on my year abroad. There is a replacement tenant who is willing to sign the contract and take over from my obligations etc. However, the estate agents/landlord are unwilling for me to claim back my deposit or even simply transfer this deposit over to the new tenant - they are saying I am not able to have my deposit back and they wish to charge the replacement tenant a deposit too. I'm stuck because I don't know what my rights are as a tenant and whether I am able to claim this deposit back. I thought I could just transfer everything to the new tenant and he would be able to sort of 'buy' the deposit off of me.
Have you signed a contract already for next year?
Are you in Scotland or England?
Silly Sausage
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Have you signed a contract already for next year?
Are you in Scotland or England?
Yeah the contract has already been signed and I am in England.

Paid the deposit and signed everything before I found out I had been accepted for my year abroad and now I can’t claim it back.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I refer you to the TDS on this matter.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah the contract has already been signed and I am in England.

Paid the deposit and signed everything before I found out I had been accepted for my year abroad and now I can’t claim it back.
What type of contract are you on?
I'd recommend going to a citizens advice bureau
Silly Sausage
Rep:
?
What type of contract are you on?
I'd recommend going to a citizens advice bureau
Just a joint tenancy contract I believe.

The landlord been on the phone to the replacement tenant who has queried it and basically threatened them saying if they interfere in the issue they won’t be able to sign the contract and get the place.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a joint tenancy contract I believe.

The landlord been on the phone to the replacement tenant who has queried it and basically threatened them saying if they interfere in the issue they won’t be able to sign the contract and get the place.
No, I mean like a fixed period contract or rolling contract
How long have you signed for?
Silly Sausage
Rep:
?
No, I mean like a fixed period contract or rolling contract
How long have you signed for?
It’s a fixed period and it’s for a period of a year
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you read the contract?
There will be clauses regarding leaving early and deposits etc.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read the contract but there will be some cost because a new contract has to be drawn up.
Silly Sausage
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Read the contract but there will be some cost because a new contract has to be drawn up.
Nah there’s nothing in the contract that says there is a loss of deposit if you drop out early.

And there’s not gonna be a new contract drafted either according to the landlord.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah there’s nothing in the contract that says there is a loss of deposit if you drop out early.

And there’s not gonna be a new contract drafted either according to the landlord.
The name needs changing that usually incurs a charge.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

There has to be a new contract. It is illegal otherwise. But it is just a question of altering names on a standard form and printing it off. If you have a replacement tenant it should be straight forward. You need to speak to your local authority. They will be able to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (0)
0%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (0)
0%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (0)
0%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (0)
0%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise