The Government is a disgrace

Watch
not_XIX_forever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
If you're young, the biggest risk is that you will get sick for a while, but the chance of you dying or getting complications is low, unless you have a preexisting condition like diabetes or a heart condition.

Other than that, just wash your hands when you can. I wouldn't worry too much about yourself if you satisfy the criteria above (young, no prior conditions) but you should try to steer clear of elderly people and people you know to have bad health.
I am 19 and have no pre-existing health conditions.
I am such a sceptic however

Thanks for the reassurance x
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by not_XIX_forever)
I am 19 and have no pre-existing health conditions.
I am such a sceptic however

Thanks for the reassurance x
I think you'll be absolutely fine, but it's sensible to think about other people as well. As you will be serving the public, it's almost certain you will get it and even if you experience no symptoms, you should be careful about infecting others.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by not_XIX_forever)
I work in an express, and so work closely with customers.
All I can think about is the closeness at the tills, scanning items that have been touched, exchanging money...
It’s freaking me out!!

I tried to find a sanitiser gel so that I could sterilise my hands between swathes of customers, but everywhere was out of stock.
How do you think I can best protect myself at work?

I’ve seen the advice of not touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands. The only time I get to wash my hands is on my break.

Should I be worried?
Firstly, if you're young and without comorbidity, the chance of a significant illness is very low even if you did get it.

Practically speaking, I would talk to your managers about having alcohol gel available at checkouts to wash your hands between customers. That doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd also suggest trying to encourage customers to use self-checkouts, although I can appreciate that might be harder.

You're a key worker and we need you!
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Firstly, if you're young and without comorbidity, the chance of a significant illness is very low even if you did get it.

Practically speaking, I would talk to your managers about having alcohol gel available at checkouts to wash your hands between customers. That doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd also suggest trying to encourage customers to use self-checkouts, although I can appreciate that might be harder.

You're a key worker and we need you!
Self checkouts are touch screens so unless the odd person gave it a clean wipe before or after use.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Self checkouts are touch screens so unless the odd person gave it a clean wipe before or after use.
That's true, but people should be washing their hands with soap after going out shopping anyway.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
I've started carrying a clean tissue with me to the shops with which to touch the touch screens, which I then dispose of at home using rubber gloves. I might be wrong, but I suspect things like shop touch screens will be strong spreaders, along with things like door handles of public places.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I've started carrying a clean tissue with me to the shops with which to touch the touch screens, which I then dispose of at home using rubber gloves. I might be wrong, but I suspect things like shop touch screens will be strong spreaders, along with things like door handles of public places.
Washing your hands would probably be more effective...
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Washing your hands would probably be more effective...
Doing that as well. I figure that my hands will stray to my face before I get home to wash and I am not washing hands in supermarket toilets as I figure the risk of using them outweighs the benefits.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think I've ignored anything? I've responded saying why it isn't practical to unilaterally remove yourself from employment or education without the green light from either the employer or government.

It takes a "new, continuous cough". I agree it is easy to be dishonest, but its only supposed to be for a week anyway.

You can argue that everyone should be more wealthy if you want. Back in the real world, they aren't though. And this is about what to do here now back in reality.

I wonder how JSA would work during covid. Can you argue you are actively seeking a job if you're not leaving home? Don't people on JSA get sent to interviews and appointments as conditions on receiving money etc? So again, we're waiting on government to say its ok to receive it from home...

For most people there aren't major personal consequences though. As long as they stay away from granny, the consequences to a work age individual of them going to work is minimal. Its the collective where is becomes important. And who has the authority to make it possible for us to/make it mandatory for us all* to collectively stay at home? Begins with a G...

**except the millions of key staff who would still be required to turn up for work even under a lockdown, but I guess we're just ignoring that
Aye 'practical'. That's what they all say.

Of course you can, you can do job searches and evidence applying for things. Didnt you watch the budget? Signing on is to be done remotely.

The collective is merely a set of individuals. Governments didnt make Facebook a thing, nor did Government.

It'd have to be pretty draconian for Government to make anything mandatory. May well happen, has in China, but even Italy it hasn't got that far yet. You can still go out there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads