How do I make my car insurance cheaper than £1800 for an 18 year old?

Watch
RussX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I put my mum as a second driver on a 55 plate 1.2 VW Polo. It is with Sky Insurance and it would have a black box. I was wondering if I could make it any cheaper than it is or if it is the lowest it will go?
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biggest saving is if you wait a year or so.
RussX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Biggest saving is if you wait a year or so.
How much can I potentially save?
Muddypaws1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RussX)
That seems an extortionate amount of money!! Have u tried compare the market.com?
Joshkav
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RussX)
I put my mum as a second driver on a 55 plate 1.2 VW Polo. It is with Sky Insurance and it would have a black box. I was wondering if I could make it any cheaper than it is or if it is the lowest it will go?
(Original post by Muddypaws1)
That seems an extortionate amount of money!! Have u tried compare the market.com?
Sounds like the right amount for an 18 year old driver to be honest. my first insurance was £2,500, so the quote you've been given isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. I would avoid blackbox if possible, it may cost more, but saves you from being in the situation that they don't like the way you SUPPOSEDLY drive, then cancel your policy, then you having to declare it for the next 3 years
Dancer2001
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That is still on the higher side, but it can be affected by where you live. If your postcode isn’t great, it might not get much lower. Have you tried messing with everything eg. Where you will park it at night, how many miles you will do etc.?
Last edited by Dancer2001; 2 weeks ago
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RussX)
quotes went from >£2000 to ~£1000 in 8 months for me. But I can't say for sure.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah i'd go for messing with the mileage and excess and see what it says. Might be worth checking without yr mum on it (if you haven't) Adding my full NCB mum to my quotes increased them, for reasons i'm still blank on.

I'd avoid black box wherever possible, there's a reason it's that 'cheap'. Most of my driving is early morning & busy, i've had maybe a dozen emergency stops in the last year, all of that would put me at huge risk using a black box.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (94)
61.44%
No (59)
38.56%

Watched Threads