Kayleejarv24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Can anyone help me please I have to write about the sickle cell and I have to describe the gene code and explain how this error effects the shape of the red blood cell and the consequences related to oxygen transport and the ability of red blood cells to move through blood capillaries.
can anyone help please.
lyer_in_hellfyre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1. Sickle cell anameia is result of point mutation. Due to a change in one base in one codon, it alters the order/ sequence of amino acid chain ( the primary structure of a protein)

2. Above stated change brings about change in secondary and tertiary structure of protein

3. Hence polypeptide folds to a different shape thus the protein haemoglobin nature is changed
4. And so haemoglobin molecules stick together to form rigid rods that give red blood sickle shape
5 With the new sickle shape, lesser absorption of oxygen as compared to original globular shaped RBC

Now you could easily explain about lessened percentage of oxygen transport and also how their shape causes RBC's to stick together again this slows down the oxygen transport,

( bonus fact, when RBCs get stuck together higher the chances of clotting and if it takes place in joints, it leads to joint pains ; if occurred in brain it causes stroke)
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
1. Sickle cell anameia is result of point mutation. Due to a change in one base in one codon, it alters the order/ sequence of amino acid chain ( the primary structure of a protein)

2. Above stated change brings about change in secondary and tertiary structure of protein

3. Hence polypeptide folds to a different shape thus the protein haemoglobin nature is changed
4. And so haemoglobin molecules stick together to form rigid rods that give red blood sickle shape
5 With the new sickle shape, lesser absorption of oxygen as compared to original globular shaped RBC

Now you could easily explain about lessened percentage of oxygen transport and also how their shape causes RBC's to stick together again this slows down the oxygen transport,

( bonus fact, when RBCs get stuck together higher the chances of clotting and if it takes place in joints, it leads to joint pains ; if occurred in brain it causes stroke)
and the OP does not even reply after you responded. Annoying isn't it.
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
Not rlly.. OP dm'd me tho (:
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
You are absolutely correct that when we go out of our way to help out students, although the majority of them show their appreciation soon after [including an occasional rep], when the minority do not even bother to reply, we wonder whether the effort was worthwhile.

Having said that, I have my sympathies for this particular member, because she has confided in me and it appears that there is a lot on her plate (a recent bereavement and a baby to look after in addition to studies/exams - I don't think she is confabulating these events).

So hellblaze should not take it to heart.

M
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

lyer_in_hellfyre

Kayleejarv24

Hi [btw I am still trying to work out what lying in hell with a fire on the side has to do with a guy slumped over holding a mug in one hand and a kettle in the other (?) - sorry I am not young enough to know these modern characters lol),

Thanks for helping out my dear friend with these very relevant and detailed facts.

Just one or two additions, as if I remember right, Kayleigh is studying something related to nursing:-
a) The substitution 'mutation' in sickle cell anaemia leads to the replacement of glutamic acid at position 6 with valine in the beta chain of haemoglobin.
b) The abnormal red cells with the abnormal haemoglobin (called HbS - normal adult haemoglobin is HbA and foetal haemoglobin is HbF) are destroyed by the spleen, and the extra work performed by the spleen can result in disease of this organ, too.
c) Sickle cell trait confers some immunity to malaria [particularly the variety caused by Plasmodium falciparum], possibly because the parasite cannot thrive in blood with the reduced partial pressure of oxygen.

M.
Kayleejarv24
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
hi all I do appreciate the help you have all given me, I have had a lot on and I didn't get any notifications saying anyone has replied, so I am sorry that it's taken me a while to respond.
thank
k
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
(Original post by Kayleejarv24)
hi all I do appreciate the help you have all given me, I have had a lot on and I didn't get any notifications saying anyone has replied, so I am sorry that it's taken me a while to respond.
thank
k
Np dw hoping things go well :hugs:
Kayleejarv24
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 hours ago
Np dw hoping things go well :hugs:
Thank you for all your help it is much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (270)
33.92%
No (526)
66.08%

Watched Threads