Alisha Bleue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have a fair few tattoos, 15 to be exact 😂

I’m hoping to start my PGCE in September, I have nothing anywhere that can’t be covered with a long sleeve shirt and trousers, but am worried of showing them in lectures and something being said by a tutor

Any experience or advice on the subject
ajaaaaaa~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would say just cover them for now if you feel a bit conscious of them (for lack of a better word), then as you go on gradually show your arms and whatnot. But they shouldn’t be judging you based on your appearance- only for the quality of your teaching )
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This shouldn't be an issue, I work with many tattooed teachers.

There was one incident though where a trainee was put on a placement in a catholic school, who insisted she cover any tattoos, which was something of an issue as she had them on her hands. I think she ended up having to cover them every day with makeup. That seemed like an extreme case though.
skittish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think this should be a problem; one of the biology teachers at my college is covered in tattoos- I'm talking two full sleeves, a large back of the neck/back tattoo and both her ankles (which can all just about be covered but she usually doesn't). On one of her feet she has co-ordinates and we're trying to work out where they lead... but yeah, it depends on the institution as to whether you'll get hired, but if you can cover them it should be fine for training.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Alisha Bleue)
I have a fair few tattoos, 15 to be exact 😂

I’m hoping to start my PGCE in September, I have nothing anywhere that can’t be covered with a long sleeve shirt and trousers, but am worried of showing them in lectures and something being said by a tutor

Any experience or advice on the subject
Hi Alisha Bleue

It shouldn't be an issue unless they are offensive. However, my advice would be to cover them up to start with for your training year and slowly introduce them once you have settled at the school, if they are a nuisance to cover up. I've worked with many teachers who have tattoos that you can see, but each school is different. So just be careful when you start and any interview you attend in the future, if you can cover them up i always would but after that it shouldn't be a problem at all, as i said earlier, unless they are offensive or aggressive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (286)
34.13%
No (552)
65.87%

Watched Threads