Advice for Driving Anxiety

Watch
Angel499
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I passed my test in January this year and i have severe anxiety at the thought of driving alone. I have driven but not by myself yet due to how crippling the anxiety is, however I now have a job interview in a weeks time where I am going to have to drive in an unfamiliar place half an hour away for the interview.
Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to lessen this anxiety?
Im going to attempt driving somewhere pretty much everyday before this interview, and go to the location with a family member in a car beforehand but i am incredibly nervous about attempting the drive alone! Im terrified of there being busy traffic and me consequently being too hesitant on roundabouts or stalling and being unable to recover. Im also nervous about not finding a parking space/struggling to reverse into a spot. These are all things I struggled with on lessons, and despite me passing Im still nervous about reverting back to how I used to be
sometimes I think Im more anxious before the drive than i am when actually driving

Any helpful stories/tips/advice are welcome!
eilish13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Angel499)
Hi, I passed my test in January this year and i have severe anxiety at the thought of driving alone. I have driven but not by myself yet due to how crippling the anxiety is, however I now have a job interview in a weeks time where I am going to have to drive in an unfamiliar place half an hour away for the interview.
Im going to attempt driving somewhere pretty much everyday before this interview, and go to the location with a family member in a car beforehand but i am incredibly nervous about attempting the drive alone! Im terrified of there being busy traffic and me consequently being too hesitant on roundabouts or stalling and being unable to recover. Im also nervous about not finding a parking space/struggling to reverse into a spot. These are all things I struggled with on lessons, and despite me passing Im still nervous about reverting back to how I used to be
sometimes I think Im more anxious before the drive than i am when actually driving

Go way earlier on the day so you have plently of time to take your time and to not be late if things do wrong. Start by driving by yourself small distances, eg around your neighbourhood or even up the street, in familiar and quite areas. Also, maybe try to drive somewhere unfamiliar with somone sitting directly behind you so there after ther in case you need them, but no right beside you so you feel more like you would if you drivinf alone.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Glib, but get out and drive, you won't get any more confident sitting not driving. No need to build it up into a waypoint/other people thing, even a few scoots around the block is a good start, it all builds familiarity and confidence. Sitting at home worrying about driving is a total mojo killer and it just gets worse.

Roundabouts just exist, it's mostly performance anxiety. Approach slowly, 2nd gear for small ones, 3rd for bigger (generally) If you feel rushed and can't take in the traffic/exits it's a telltale you're too fast. No need to lunge onto it and stall, more important to take off solidly and confidently when its good for you. People behind may be mildly annoyed for a fraction of a second but they'll get over it.

As to parking, practice practice practice. Find an emptyish street and don't stop until you're confident, you'll likely need to work out reference points for your car to make it simpler. Like I know the point where i can see the back of the other car about halfway in my rear window I make 1 full turn of the wheel and start backing in, then i use whatever side mirror to judge when i need to straighten out. Sounds daft, but i;ve heard of folk attaching squeaky toys to the front/back of their car to practice reference points
dc0098
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I literally just logged in because i have the exact same issue. Driving since early December, but get so nervous. If its a drive i know well then i have no issues but its the unknown that scares me and not being prepared. It sounds ridiculous but coming up to a roundabout i've never been to before and not knowing if i'm in the right lane completely petrifies me.

We decided that tonight i will drive there with my boyfriend in the car to kind of scope it out.

I don't really have any advice just nice to know i'm not alone.

Good luck
dc0098
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also, google maps is my best friend. Google map the direction it would take you then have a look at street view so you can look at road lay outs
meddad
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Angel499)

You don't want to stress yourself out before a job interview - just use public transport on that day.

On other days, just follow all the good advice already given to increase your confidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads