Rebeccarichards
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,
I will be accepting my offer to start my PGCE secondary art and design teacher training at university in September.
I am currently a BA Hons Fine art student (expected 2:1) and I work a part-time job alongside (25 hours).

I have been emailing with my university but they are very vague and take days to reply, so im thinking I will find some answers here.

I have been told this course offers a 9 grand bursary for their students. My questions are-

- Is this 9 grand dependent on your parents' household income, if so, what is the threshold to be entitled to this bursary?
- How do we actually apply for this bursary?
-Would working part-time through the PGCE and therefore earning an income cancel out the opportunity to this bursary?
- Is this bursary on top of the student loan we already get from student finance? For example, I get around £8,800 for my student loan, will I receive the £8,000 and £9,000 bursary?

Im trying to work out my finances for my PGCE ( accommodation, travel to schools, resources, bills, and food). I come from a working-class family and have always supported my self-financing through university, however, im really hoping I won't have to work through my PGCE and can put all my effort onto the course, however, that is only do-able if I have the bursary.

Thank you in advance for any answers
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did my training last year, obviously information may differ by training provider, but here's how it was for me:

- The bursary is not conditional on income, and it is not taxed

- I did not need to apply for my bursary, the training provider dealt with it and I just had to keep up to date with paperwork from them

- I don't believe it would cancel out the bursary, but I also do not think working part-time during a PGCE is feasible. On my course, trainees were actually banned from working other jobs during the training, you might want to check if your training provider allows it. Keep in mind most people are completely exhausted just from the normal PGCE workload.

- The bursary is in addition to anything you receive from student finance.

Also worth keeping in mind is that the first bursary payment can come quite late after you start the course (I think my first payment was mid-October or something?) so don't rely on it too much early on.
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rebeccarichards)
Hello everyone,
I will be accepting my offer to start my PGCE secondary art and design teacher training at university in September.
I am currently a BA Hons Fine art student (expected 2:1) and I work a part-time job alongside (25 hours).

I have been emailing with my university but they are very vague and take days to reply, so im thinking I will find some answers here.

I have been told this course offers a 9 grand bursary for their students. My questions are-

- Is this 9 grand dependent on your parents' household income, if so, what is the threshold to be entitled to this bursary?
-Would working part-time through the PGCE and therefore earning an income cancel out the opportunity to this bursary?
- Is this bursary on top of the student loan we already get from student finance? For example, I get around £8,800 for my student loan, will I receive the £8,000 and £9,000 bursary?

Im trying to work out my finances for my PGCE ( accommodation, travel to schools, resources, bills, and food). I come from a working-class family and have always supported my self-financing through university, however, im really hoping I won't have to work through my PGCE and can put all my effort onto the course, however, that is only do-able if I have the bursary.

Congrats! You can find out a little more here: https://getintoteaching.education.go...acher-training
Bursary is unrelated to income and is not means tested. You won't need to apply, your provider will organise it for you (and provide relevant proof of eligibility). Working won't affect the bursary at all and is separate entirely to your student loan.
Rebeccarichards
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This may be a stupid question, but is the ''training provider'' you talk about, the university?
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This may be a stupid question, but is the ''training provider'' you talk about, the university?
Yes, in your case, the provider is the Uni. If you had applied to a SCITT, they would be the training provider. Hope this helps.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

. A good indicator that you will access the bursary is if you are eligible for student finance England - it sounds like you are and providing you meet the other requirements ( degree requirements (2.2) etc.). You can top up your bursary with a maintenance loan if you wish.If you are concerned, I would advice you to contact your course provider from and they will answer your queries and put your mind at rest.

Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.16%
No (559)
65.84%

Watched Threads