The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Land Economy Applicants Thread 2021

Who’s thinking of applying and what gcse results did u get and what a levels r you doing? :smile:)

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hey! Thinking of applying for land economy here.
For Highers I did 9, (hopefully predicted all A's)
And for Advanced Highers I'll be doing maths, english, modern studies (kind of like politics, law and sociology combined) and religious studies (+ Higher Economics)

Really worried about my application since I've only decided to apply for land economy quite recently, and I'm scared I might be behind on preparation for the subject or something.

Oh, what college are you thinking of applying for btw? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by scottishnerd
Hey! Thinking of applying for land economy here.
I'm from Scotland so did National 5's (I got 10 A1's)
For Highers I did 9, (hopefully predicted all A's)
And for Advanced Highers I'll be doing maths, english, modern studies (kind of like politics, law and sociology combined) biology, business, economics and religious studies

Really worried about my application since I've only decided to apply for land economy quite recently, and I'm scared I might be behind on preparation for the subject or something.

Oh, what college are you thinking of applying for btw?

I'm not really sure yet but Girton, Fitzwilliam, St Johns and Gonville and Caius are on the list :smile:
I'm thinking of applying. For GCSE's I got 7 9s, 2 8s and a 7. I do maths, further maths, economics and English lit.
I’m thinking of applying, I’m doing maths, geography and economics. My GCSEs are a mix of 8s,7s,6s and 5s. For colleges I’m between Catz, Murray Edwards, Cauis and Girton
Still not sure if I’m actually going to apply, but if I get the predicted grades then it’s surely worth a shot?
Reply 6
Original post by randomstudent777
I'm thinking of applying. For GCSE's I got 7 9s, 2 8s and a 7. I do maths, further maths, economics and English lit.

What other courses are you thinking of applying too?
Reply 7
Original post by beginningofanera
I’m thinking of applying, I’m doing maths, geography and economics. My GCSEs are a mix of 8s,7s,6s and 5s. For colleges I’m between Catz, Murray Edwards, Cauis and Girton
Still not sure if I’m actually going to apply, but if I get the predicted grades then it’s surely worth a shot?

I get what you mean, my GCSEs aren't stellar but they're ok it's worth a shot.
Original post by samgampedi
What other courses are you thinking of applying too?

At LSE, UCL and Warick I'm thinking of applying for pure economics.
What college are you applying to at Cambridge?
In terms of colleges I'm stuck between queens and trinity. On one hand queens looks so much more social and diverse, but trinity is just... trinity. The building are gorgeous, they have more financial support and I feel drawn to it ahah. (I'll probs end up flipping a coin between the two)
Reply 10
Original post by randomstudent777
At LSE, UCL and Warick I'm thinking of applying for pure economics.
What college are you applying to at Cambridge?

Not sure yet but Girton, Fitzwilliam or Goville and Caius.
Do you think Land Economy is competitive
Reply 11
In terms of colleges I'm stuck between queens and trinity. On one hand queens looks so much more social and diverse, but trinity is just... trinity. The building are gorgeous, they have more financial support and I feel drawn to it ahah. (I'll probs end up flipping a coin between the two)

I'm also looking for diversity but obviously Trinity is elite lol
I went to a subject taster day for Economics/Land Ec and it’s about average for the university as a whole, 5-6 applications per place. Obviously it’s harder to apply for as it’s unique to Cambridge so getting the personal statement right will be tough
Original post by beginningofanera
I went to a subject taster day for Economics/Land Ec and it’s about average for the university as a whole, 5-6 applications per place. Obviously it’s harder to apply for as it’s unique to Cambridge so getting the personal statement right will be tough

Is it true that it's okay if your personal statement is more general as long as your SAQ Personal statement (the optional one) is tailored specifically towards land economy? Surely Cambridge understands that the course is unique to them so they won't hold it against you if the personal statement isn't specifically tailored towards it. (Let's hope so haha)

Is it true that it's okay if your personal statement is more general as long as your SAQ Personal statement (the optional one) is tailored specifically towards land economy? Surely Cambridge understands that the course is unique to them so they won't hold it against you if the personal statement isn't specifically tailored towards it. (Let's hope so haha)

Yeah they said something along those lines as they know that you’re applying to 4 other universities and that you need to still have a good chance at those. They understand as long as you’re applying for a somewhat related course so the content of your main PS is kinda linked to landec, then you can use the SAQ statement to add in other stuff that’s related but maybe not so much to the other courses you’re applying for. Hope that’s what you meant aha
When are you guys planning on starting practice for the admissions test? On one hand I feel like I should take advantage of lockdown and start work on it, but then again Netflix looks pretty tempting rn...
When are you guys planning on starting practice for the admissions test? On one hand I feel like I should take advantage of lockdown and start work on it, but then again Netflix looks pretty tempting rn...

I’ve looked at some past papers and it seems like the kind of thing that you can work on to some extent, but it’s not like subject based. I reckon I’ll do some more practice when I get my predicted grades and know whether I can apply or not
Reply 17
exact same, when are your schools getting your predicted grades sorted. We're having papers one September along side online assessments in June to work out predicted grades.
Original post by samgampedi
exact same, when are your schools getting your predicted grades sorted. We're having papers one September along side online assessments in June to work out predicted grades.

We’ve just been told that we’re doing online assessments only, which I’m really annoyed about as people are going to cheat like crazy. They’ve told us that we’re not doing papers in September, which is frustrating ngl as it would be a level playing field then.
Reply 19
Thats so annoying

Quick Reply