The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Land Economy Applicants Thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by tkhedward
I got a 75.4 which I was pretty happy about at first but then seeing the distribution of grades this year it doesn't feel that good anymore

That's still high 60s on a normal year, looking at the curve. Still a very high score, especially remembering that this is compared to UCL and oxbridge applicants. You're still in with a good shot given that 70 was about average and it gets exponentially less common to score above that
Original post by Jmoore12
That's still high 60s on a normal year, looking at the curve. Still a very high score, especially remembering that this is compared to UCL and oxbridge applicants. You're still in with a good shot given that 70 was about average and it gets exponentially less common to score above that

Still a bit pissed tbh because normally on tests i could average around a 73 which i think was within a higher percentile, but can’t do much but hope for the best now. The test being online threw me off more than i expected too because I wasn’t able to switch around questions quickly so i left a few blank :frown: Good job on your score though dude, think you’ve got a good chance of getting in now with that score.
Wish they were but grades are inflated this year. 70 is like top 40% or something when it's normally top 10.

In 2019, literally no land economy applicant got as high as me and i'm definitely not smart enough to get that if scores were comparable. I would say it's probably mid 70s on a normal year given its percentile. Plus, my grades are only A*AA and I didn't do maths which, at least in the 2019 data, reduces my chances (maybe no causation tho)

Are you sure they're that inflated? that's pretty mental if it's true, because last year a score of 73 was in the top 6% of all applicants....Surely they cant be up that much?
Reply 183
Original post by br2611
Are you sure they're that inflated? that's pretty mental if it's true, because last year a score of 73 was in the top 6% of all applicants....Surely they cant be up that much?

That's what the distribution looks like to me but i didn't really study it that much. I just did some rough maths and around 35% were 70 or above so still pretty inflated.

My score would be top 0.5% and it's top 3% or smth this year. Results are up but all that matters is percentiles.

Looks like 72.8 (assuming that's ur unrounded score) is top 25% ish which is still very good
That's what the distribution looks like to me but i didn't really study it that much. I just did some rough maths and around 35% were 70 or above so still pretty inflated.

My score would be top 0.5% and it's top 3% or smth this year. Results are up but all that matters is percentiles.

Looks like 72.8 (assuming that's ur unrounded score) is top 25% ish which is still very good

I actually did it last year (and got an offer) and that's what I got told the percentile of my score was. I have a fair few mates applying this year so I check this thread on occasion....3% is still pretty significant and will defo help ur app
Reply 185
Original post by br2611
I actually did it last year (and got an offer) and that's what I got told the percentile of my score was. I have a fair few mates applying this year so I check this thread on occasion....3% is still pretty significant and will defo help ur app

Ah, that makes sense. It's weird how many people applying know other people applying. I've met literally two people IRL who even know what the course is.

Thanks, I think it's still obviously a long shot but I'm in with a decent chance as Cambridge applications go.

Are you there ATM or did you get ****ed by last year's assessment/change choice?
Ah, that makes sense. It's weird how many people applying know other people applying. I've met literally two people IRL who even know what the course is.

Thanks, I think it's still obviously a long shot but I'm in with a decent chance as Cambridge applications go.

Are you there ATM or did you get ****ed by last year's assessment/change choice?

hahaha my head of year thought i made a mistake and was like 'wait, why farming???' lol

its super niche tbh, but i know cam alum have secured some great finance and consulting jobs post LE

Yeah so I'm actually there right now (well unfortunately not actually there because we're not allowed to come back yet :frown:) but the course so far has been great and pretty challenging too.

Original post by zayaan2002
hahaha my head of year thought i made a mistake and was like 'wait, why farming???' lol

its super niche tbh, but i know cam alum have secured some great finance and consulting jobs post LE

- can vouch for the finance thing, I know a fair few land ecs in the years above me who are getting job offers for IB front office jobs at major banks
Reply 188
Just read Queen's has 31 applicants, 3 places, A*A*A*A* applicants and a top TSA of 84.8 (Which isn't on the explanation of results so is this a typo?) FML. Not a chance I'm getting in there. It's on their FOI page
Just read Queen's has 31 applicants, 3 places, A*A*A*A* applicants and a top TSA of 84.8 (Which isn't on the explanation of results so is this a typo?) FML. Not a chance I'm getting in there. It's on their FOI page

Hey! Don't worry about it. yeah grades and TSA score have a degree of importance, but the FOI doesn't tell you anything about interview performance (which let's be honest, is probably the most important factor).

Hmmm... The TSA top score is probs a typo from 83.8 which is on the explanation of results chart thing. Also, if I remember correctly you did scarily well on the TSA haha. Look, **** what happens on the 25th, but good luck for it anyways :smile: (Don't lose hope)
Reply 190
Original post by scottishnerd
Hey! Don't worry about it. yeah grades and TSA score have a degree of importance, but the FOI doesn't tell you anything about interview performance (which let's be honest, is probably the most important factor).

Hmmm... The TSA top score is probs a typo from 83.8 which is on the explanation of results chart thing. Also, if I remember correctly you did scarily well on the TSA haha. Look, **** what happens on the 25th, but good luck for it anyways :smile: (Don't lose hope)

Fingers crossed you're right about that TSA score (because 83.8 is me 😂). I think it was just a reality check because I sort of got wrapped up in going and forgot for a little while how scarily low my chance of getting in is. I'm shook that Queen's had so many other applicants, 31 is insanely high compared to normal. I think with my TSA though, I'll probably be pooled if I don't get an offer so there's always hope.

I've got offers for business management at Bristol and Leeds anyway and pending from Durham and Bath so I've got options, It's just how unique and cool land economy is as a degree. **** it, if I don't get in, I'm coming back for a masters.
Honestly I'm so worried for next Monday even though I've basically accepted that I'm not getting an offer lol :smile:
The number of applicants for landec had been rising considerably in the last few years, and faster than the number of places increasing so I really don't think I stand much of a chance
It's honestly so annoying that no other uni offers landec as its basically my dream course :frown:
Reply 192
Original post by beginningofanera
Honestly I'm so worried for next Monday even though I've basically accepted that I'm not getting an offer lol :smile:
The number of applicants for landec had been rising considerably in the last few years, and faster than the number of places increasing so I really don't think I stand much of a chance
It's honestly so annoying that no other uni offers landec as its basically my dream course :frown:

Honestly, same. Surprised Durham hasn't tried to do it, seen as though they're wannabe Oxbridge

Where can I check this? I applied to st catz and I'm getting more nervous by the second
Reply 194
Original post by tkhedward
Where can I check this? I applied to st catz and I'm getting more nervous by the second

Catz might not have done it. It was a freedom of information request from whatdotheyknow.com or smth. Just google catz cambridge 2021 land economy freedom of information and see what comes up
Honestly, same. Surprised Durham hasn't tried to do it, seen as though they're wannabe Oxbridge

Literally! Also, it would be nice if Durham actually wanted to respond to my application rather than sending like a hundred spam emails :biggrin:
Reply 196
Original post by beginningofanera
Literally! Also, it would be nice if Durham actually wanted to respond to my application rather than sending like a hundred spam emails :biggrin:

Oh my god yeah, It would be great if they would wait until afterwards to try to sell it to me!
Best of luck to you all for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good news all around :smile:
Has anyone heard yet?
Rejected from jesus lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending