The Student Room Group

Why are people saying bidets, bodnas and poo hoses are more hygienic?

The stockpiling of toilet paper has got people talking about the necessity of toilet paper, with some arguing that it’s not a necessity. Apparently bidets and are more hygienic. The thought of these apparatus really grosses me out.

Never mind that food poisoning is so common in these countries that use bodnas and poo hoses.

This coronavirus has exposed a lot about hygiene habits. I never imagined that one day hand wash shelves would be empty. Why did it take this virus for people to learn that hand washing is good?

Scroll to see replies

I mean that's my question as well. People should be washing their hands for 20 secs at least when they do, and increasing frequency shouldn't be an issue.

The typical argument that goes with bidets is that "if you got fecal matter on your hands, you wouldn't just wipe it off with tissue." I mean no, but I wouldn't just spray it with a little water either.
I find it a confusing argument as well, unless you are using soap then spraying yourself with water is no more hygienic than toilet paper as you aren't actually killing any bacteria.
Even if you do use soap unless you have a really powerful jet stream then you aren't going to wash away all the faeces with just water, apparently you use your hand which I personally would find disgusting. Even if you wash your hands afterwards if you have long fingernails then stuff can stay stuck under them. At least with toilet paper you can remove stuff left behind with a barrier between your hand and the matter.
Providing you shower regularly using toilet paper alone is not unhygienic.
If you had poo on your face you wouldn't wipe it with dry tissues and feel like the problem is all sorted.
Reply 4
Original post by vicvic38
I mean that's my question as well. People should be washing their hands for 20 secs at least when they do, and increasing frequency shouldn't be an issue.

The typical argument that goes with bidets is that "if you got fecal matter on your hands, you wouldn't just wipe it off with tissue." I mean no, but I wouldn't just spray it with a little water either.

Exactly. 100%. One still needs something to wipe the water off their bum. The idea of leaving the loo with a wet bum is disgusting as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
I find it a confusing argument as well, unless you are using soap then spraying yourself with water is no more hygienic than toilet paper as you aren't actually killing any bacteria.
Even if you do use soap unless you have a really powerful jet stream then you aren't going to wash away all the faeces with just water, apparently you use your hand which I personally would find disgusting. Even if you wash your hands afterwards if you have long fingernails then stuff can stay stuck under them. At least with toilet paper you can remove stuff left behind with a barrier between your hand and the matter.
Providing you shower regularly using toilet paper alone is not unhygienic.

I agree 100%
meh, I don't tissue or water. I use wipes
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
If you had poo on your face you wouldn't wipe it with dry tissues and feel like the problem is all sorted.

The question is why would you have poo on your face in the first place? The world has gone mad.
Original post by Fruli
The question is why would you have poo on your face in the first place? The world has gone mad.

It has happened before working with animals.
Original post by DiddyDec
If you had poo on your face you wouldn't wipe it with dry tissues and feel like the problem is all sorted

But you also wouldn't just spray it with a little water?

Also, no one is getting butt infections from using only tissue/other such paper product, so I don't see the issue. You'd probably get some sort of infection if you did this with your face (get it in your mouth/eyes/nose,) whereas if you're not touching your butt you're unlikely to get any sort of infection.
Reply 10

Also, no one is getting butt infections from using only tissue/other such paper product, so I don't see the issue. You'd probably get some sort of infection if you did this with your face (get it in your mouth/eyes/nose,) whereas if you're not touching your butt you're unlikely to get any sort of infection.

Indeed. Walking out of the loo with a wet bum is just asking for an infection.
I would recommend looking into Japanese toilets. Very swish. :pierre:

its not spraying it with a bit of water, its thoroughly washing it off with your hand as well, making sure you wash your hands thoroughly after done. If i had **** on my face I would wash it thoroughly with water, which is how those things you listed are meant to be used ygmmm
Reply 13
Original post by 04MR17

They have dryers 😀
Original post by hustlr
its not spraying it with a bit of water, its thoroughly washing it off with your hand as well, making sure you wash your hands thoroughly after done. If i had **** on my face I would wash it thoroughly with water, which is how those things you listed are meant to be used ygmmm

with no soap? do you also wash your hands without soap?
Original post by Obolinda
with no soap? do you also wash your hands without soap?

no lol, because my ass isnt going to spread germs to handles and other every day items...
Original post by Fruli
Exactly. 100%. One still needs something to wipe the water off their bum. The idea of leaving the loo with a wet bum is disgusting as well.

They don’t??

Japan’s toilets mostly have in built bidets, and people still use toilet roll...

God I miss those toilets. They’d even place music or sound effects.
Would I just use makeup wipes to remove makeup...yes?
Original post by 04MR17

They are the best!
ummm it does kill bacteria though. Bacteria have permeable cell walls so literally water is enough to force it into lysis. On top of that soap (for hand) makes it the dream team. The thought of washing your ass with your hands does seem a little nasty but honestly isn't bad since you're going to wash it whilst it's in the toilet with the bodna or bidet and then dry it with a tissue and go straight to washing your hands. To the person that mentioned long fingernails, make sure to bloody clean your nails then or keep them short which is easier and better. Its basic hygiene and some people are complaining so much.

Quick Reply

Latest