A discussion about D&D

Watch
MidnightRanger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by NottTheBrave)
Druid's not having Find Familiar is criminal. One of the biggest mistakes I made was giving a player a flying broom -______- The party in my campaign are all full spellcasters. Not only that but wizards and clerics so the best spellcasters in the game so making difficult things is so hard. Do you use components? They're good for limiting magical ability.
I only know a limited ways to use them, like if they're trying to subtly cast something then get them to use slight of hand or paying for material components on expensive spells but most of the spell casters the main spell casters are a warlock and bard that use the objects as their focus and rarely have super expensive spells unlike clerics that have tons. Do you know of any other ways to do that? I know silence spell can be handy but I have yet to pull that one on them.
NottTheBrave
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidnightRanger)
I only know a limited ways to use them, like if they're trying to subtly cast something then get them to use slight of hand or paying for material components on expensive spells but most of the spell casters the main spell casters are a warlock and bard that use the objects as their focus and rarely have super expensive spells unlike clerics that have tons. Do you know of any other ways to do that? I know silence spell can be handy but I have yet to pull that one on them.
Components are good for clutch spells like revivify because it gives them more value and can make it more tense. The focuses only overcome free material components so even the cheap ones need the components too. Some use up components so they need to keep buying them. Silence is a neat trick to stop spellcasters but if you're in it you can't use verbal components either :/ Good for sorcerers who can get subtle casting and not need verbal components. In Tomb of Annihilation there is a permanently invisible beholder. Best fight of that campaign. I had my own mini map so I could keep track of where it was and angle its anti-magic cone to limit the spellcasters. Rakshasa's are great against spellcasters because of their immunity. There's also nothing scarier than an intellect devourer.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Components are good for clutch spells like revivify because it gives them more value and can make it more tense. The focuses only overcome free material components so even the cheap ones need the components too. Some use up components so they need to keep buying them. Silence is a neat trick to stop spellcasters but if you're in it you can't use verbal components either :/ Good for sorcerers who can get subtle casting and not need verbal components. In Tomb of Annihilation there is a permanently invisible beholder. Best fight of that campaign. I had my own mini map so I could keep track of where it was and angle its anti-magic cone to limit the spellcasters. Rakshasa's are great against spellcasters because of their immunity. There's also nothing scarier than an intellect devourer.
I do like rakshasas they're really interesting. And I kinda want to do some sort of Underdark related adventure at some point with intellect devourers and mindflayers but easing them into that may take a while. For the next session I'm putting them up against a devourer which is probably mean for level 6 but there's 7 of them so tough and as we're playing around with other people DMing that means I'll hopefully have enough time to well-plan out how I want to do it.
NottTheBrave
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MidnightRanger)
I do like rakshasas they're really interesting. And I kinda want to do some sort of Underdark related adventure at some point with intellect devourers and mindflayers but easing them into that may take a while. For the next session I'm putting them up against a devourer which is probably mean for level 6 but there's 7 of them so tough and as we're playing around with other people DMing that means I'll hopefully have enough time to well-plan out how I want to do it.
Damn 7 is a lot I'd love to play with that many people. The Underdark is great just for the sheer amount of civilisations it has. We had a brief stint in it and it was pretty gloomy to the say the least. Volo's guide has some pretty good Mind Flayer lore.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Damn 7 is a lot I'd love to play with that many people. The Underdark is great just for the sheer amount of civilisations it has. We had a brief stint in it and it was pretty gloomy to the say the least. Volo's guide has some pretty good Mind Flayer lore.
Oooh. I think I miss counted there's 5 PCs, my DM PC, the ranger's pet, a talking squirrel and a talking chicken then they used to have 1 other NPC with them too - it's a lot but fun. Then another campaign I'm in there's 6 of us but 1 player hasn't been able to play for a few sessions.
Last edited by 04MR17; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (244)
33.84%
No (477)
66.16%

Watched Threads