The Student Room Group

Failed every video interview, yet been successful in majority of 1-1 interviews :/

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice about video interviews. I have done my fair share of them by this point but unfortunately I have failed every single one. This is in direct contrast in comparison that I have been successful the the vast majority of 1-1 interviews/assessment centres/telephone interviews.

It has got to the point that I don't even bother with a job if I see that the recruitment process has a video interview.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think I come across quite well as I wouldn't have been successful in assessment centres etc. I try my hardest to be the same in video interviews. Maybe its because I have been using my phone as the webcam haha?

Does anybody else have a similar experience?
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh man. Talking to a screen, being pressured by time, trying to look and sound good, seeing your image that distracts a lot... I hated video interviews.

Anyway, it’s hard to judge without looking at the the video(s).
Try recording yourself answering those general interview questions and see what do you think. Show it to your parents or friends and get some feedback. Maybe there’s something you can’t notice yourself.
Generally, no one is good at anything unless they practice. So another suggestion is to become comfortable when being recorded - practice answering the questions at least a few times while also recording yourself.
I know this might sound really stupid, but I read somewhere that some companies who use video interviews do not even watch them. They instead use an AI programme to analyse the footage. It looks at facial expression, tone/ animation of voice, gestures etc. And then they just get a transcript of what you said. I have no idea how many companies take this approach (probably larger ones with loads of applicants). Aside from that just the usual stuff of dressing formally, looking into the camera not at the screen and not reading off any notes. Good luck!
Original post by ThatguyAl
Oh man. Talking to a screen, being pressured by time, trying to look and sound good, seeing your image that distracts a lot... I hated video interviews.

Anyway, it’s hard to judge without looking at the the video(s).
Try recording yourself answering those general interview questions and see what do you think. Show it to your parents or friends and get some feedback. Maybe there’s something you can’t notice yourself.
Generally, no one is good at anything unless they practice. So another suggestion is to become comfortable when being recorded - practice answering the questions at least a few times while also recording yourself.

Thank you, I 100% agree, practice makes perfect for anything in life.
Original post by hannahgeo123
I know this might sound really stupid, but I read somewhere that some companies who use video interviews do not even watch them. They instead use an AI programme to analyse the footage. It looks at facial expression, tone/ animation of voice, gestures etc. And then they just get a transcript of what you said. I have no idea how many companies take this approach (probably larger ones with loads of applicants). Aside from that just the usual stuff of dressing formally, looking into the camera not at the screen and not reading off any notes. Good luck!

Really interesting, I do find it quite facilitating how these companies make recruitment decisions at these stages in the process. I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thank you :smile:
Original post by hannahgeo123

It definitely is not stupid. Honestly AI interviews suck. What's the point of HR if the job is going to be done by an AI. We spend so much time out of our jobs and studies just to prepare for an interview with literally no human interaction. Afterwards if you did not get accepted and ask for a feedback they apparently cannot give you one. Why are we even surprised when they didn't even watch your interview in the first place and just got ruled out by a machine? This is absolutely ridiculous.
Late to the party, but totally agree. I don't necessarily feel that I can really express myself well on a video interview in comparison to face-to-face, but also the stress of being timed as well as usually only having one or two chances to record.

I just finished a VI and I completely fluffed it. My internet cut out midway through the first question, and I completely messed up the two other questions. Fully prepared for it not to work out in my favour, but honestly I guess it just comes with practice.

Quick Reply

Latest