SCITT or university PGCE if I want to become an educational psychologist?

Watch
bluetshirtgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does it matter whether I do a SCITT or university centred primary PGCE if I want to train to become an educational psychologist later in life or are they both regarded as equal? (I already have a psychology degree).
As an additional question, if I would like to have support from people in a similar situation i.e. support from other people doing teacher training would it be better to do the uni led route? I think it would be beneficial to have others to talk to and for mutual support throughout the year.
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends whether the SCITT route you choose includes a PGCE. Some SCITT courses only offer QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), so there's much less of a 'university' element and less essays.

In terms of interacting with other students, I found the SCITT course fine for that. There were other trainees in my school, and even another in my department (though this is less common). On top of that, SCITT courses will usually have one day a week that is a 'university' or 'training' day where you meet up with all the other trainees from various schools and learn stuff about teaching. To be honest, I felt the SCITT course was better in terms of feeling supported, because I was in my host school from day one, I developed a proper relationship with the other members of staff and felt I could go to them if I was struggling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (272)
34.04%
No (527)
65.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed