Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 59
Size:  14.1 KB
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, you can't do that because those ratios are not for all of the people. You need to find the ratio of men : women : children first.
unknownalienn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So for every 4 men, there are 5 women and for every 10 women, there are 9 children.
As the ratio for male to women is 4:5 but the ratio of women to children is 10:9, you need to change the ratio of men to women so that you can get the ratio of men to women to children.
As you know 10 women is 9 children, you need to make the women from the men to women ratio 10 as well. To do this you have to time the 4:5 ratio by 2 to that you get 8:10 for the men to women ratio.
With this, you know that the men to women to children ratio is 8:10:9 and when you add the three numbers together, you get 27.
Then do 270/27 to get 10 and do 10 times by 8 to get 80.
So the answer is that there are 80 men on the train.
username4563328
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by NotWorthKnowing)
So for every 4 men, there are 5 women and for every 10 women, there are 9 children.
As the ratio for male to women is 4:5 but the ratio of women to children is 10:9, you need to change the ratio of men to women so that you can get the ratio of men to women to children.
As you know 10 women is 9 children, you need to make the women from the men to women ratio 10 as well. To do this you have to time the 4:5 ratio by 2 to that you get 8:10 for the men to women ratio.
With this, you know that the men to women to children ratio is 8:10:9 and when you add the three numbers together, you get 27.
Then do 270/27 to get 10 and do 10 times by 8 to get 80.
So the answer is that there are 80 men on the train.
wait. but where does the 8 come from?
unknownalienn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StudyBunny33)
wait. but where does the 8 come from?
Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I have tried to explain it the best that I can
In order to make the women the same in the ratio of male to women as in women to men, you have to multiply the ratio by 2. The 10 (from the women to children ration) divided by the 5 (in the men to women ration) makes 2. So you have to times both the 4 and the 5 from the men to women ratio by 2 to make it even so you can have the men to women to children ration. Hence why you have the *
Also if there are 4 men for every 5 women, to get 10 women, you know that there have to be 8 men.
LoyaltyAb0veAll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Men to women 4:5
Children to women 9:10

You have to equate the two ratio to get an overall ratio, notice how the second ratio has twice the amount of women as the first... Therefore x2 the first ration to get an overall ratio

Men:Women:children 8:10:9 =270
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.14%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads