Josh burns
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm in Year 12 planning on doing Economics and Maths at Uni in LSE but these are the entry requirments. I'm scared I wont get in as I dont take further maths so I'm not sure if ill even get an offer. Will I?

A* A A in their A-levels, with an A* in Mathematics.
Further Mathematics is highly recommended.
Students not taking Further Mathematics to A-level will normally be required to achieve grade A in Further Mathematics AS-level in addition to A* (Mathematics) at A-level.
We also consider your AS grades, if available.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Maybe ask the uni if its possible to do the course without further maths and if not, ask your school if you can take AS further maths in yr 13
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Josh burns)
I'm in Year 12 planning on doing Economics and Maths at Uni in LSE but these are the entry requirments. I'm scared I wont get in as I dont take further maths so I'm not sure if ill even get an offer. Will I?

Students not taking Further Mathematics to A-level will normally be required to achieve grade A in Further Mathematics AS-level in addition to A* (Mathematics) at A-level.
It is still possible, but for Economics and Maths your chances are very slim indeed without Further Maths A Level. Indeed, for straight Economics degrees at top Unis, Further Maths is almost an implied pre-requisite, so for Economics and Maths at a Uni like LSE, you will be at a pretty fair disadvantage without Further Maths.

If you aren’t even taking AS - ask your school if you can pick it up now or self teach using Integral Maths and the Further Maths Support Group. If your school didn’t offer Further Maths definitely make sure you mention it in your reference as this will help your case a little, but if it was offered and you didn’t take it, the admissions tutors may question why you didn’t. At this point, if you were offered Further Maths and didn’t take even an AS, and you don’t have e.g. strong performance in UKMT challenges, I would gently suggest you consider other courses perhaps - something like Econ and Politics that is less mathematical may be more realistic. If you do have your heart set on Maths and Econ at LSE though - take up Further Maths ASAP somehow if you can, do as many supercurriculars to boost your personal statement as possible, make sure you’re well on track for an A* in Maths and if you can, go to an open day and ask the tutors for advice. Good luck
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Josh burns)

You may get an offer if your school doesn't offer FM but if it does and you chose not to take it, you are very unlikely to get an offer I'm afraid

LeapingLucy
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Your chances are next to zero if your school offers Further Maths and you chose not to take it.

Is there any chance you could self-study AS Further Maths next year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads