The Student Room Group

Does the Prime Minister pay tax?

Does the prime minister pay tax. Iv learnt today that people have to pay something like 33% of their salary to the government as tax. This money goes to fund people that decide not to work, so working people pay for other people that decide not to work or can't work to live etc. The tax you pay also goes towards funding the NHS which is under strain. Are there to enough people in the country paying tax to fund them? I doubt it, or is it the tax being paid isn't going in the right places , who knows. But in my opinion the whole 'tax thing' is utterly shocking and in a sense quite annoying for those working hard. There must be some other way of dealing with this. Not to mention those who evade paying tax like big businesses and bank bosses. Its utterly horrific! My mothers a doctor and my fathers a firefighter and the amount of tax which is deducted from their salary- as they told me today- is an extortionate amount, considering all this does the prime minister pay tax?- he should.

Scroll to see replies

Of course he does. He is such a good leader.
Original post by jamiehussain
Does the prime minister pay tax. Iv learnt today that people have to pay something like 33% of their salary to the government as tax. This money goes to fund people that decide not to work, so working people pay for other people that decide not to work or can't work to live etc. The tax you pay also goes towards funding the NHS which is under strain. Are there to enough people in the country paying tax to fund them? I doubt it, or is it the tax being paid isn't going in the right places , who knows. But in my opinion the whole 'tax thing' is utterly shocking and in a sense quite annoying for those working hard. There must be some other way of dealing with this. Not to mention those who evade paying tax like big businesses and bank bosses. Its utterly horrific! My mothers a doctor and my fathers a firefighter and the amount of tax which is deducted from their salary- as they told me today- is an extortionate amount, considering all this does the prime minister pay tax?- he should.

Her Maj pays income tax, albeit voluntarily: a parvenu like Boris Johnson definitely does, yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Her Maj pays income tax, albeit voluntarily: a parvenu like Boris Johnson definitely does, yes.

From my understanding, the revenues from the crown estates are all handed over to the government and then she gets a stipend back (the royal list, unless they changed the name) is that what you're referring to or do you mean something else?
Original post by Napp
From my understanding, the revenues from the crown estates are all handed over to the government and then she gets a stipend back (the royal list, unless they changed the name) is that what you're referring to or do you mean something else?

I’m just wanting to know, if like everyone else the prime minister pays tax. Does a certain amount of his actual salary go towards tax?
Thanks,
Reply 5

I mean you're a troll right? You're sad about the amount of tax your parents pay, yet their pay comes from tax lol

Also, do you think your dad should still be working as a firefighter in his 80s or do you think he should be retired? Cuz yeah, he'll need funding when he chooses to stop working too.
Reply 6
I’m just wanting to know, if like everyone else the prime minister pays tax. Does a certain amount of his actual salary go towards tax?
Thanks,

Yes, perhaps watch the budget to lean more?
Reply 7
Thanks,

Simple answer being yes. At least his government salary. Anything he gets on the side is up for debate.
Original post by Quady
I mean you're a troll right? You're sad about the amount of tax your parents pay, yet their pay comes from tax lol

Also, do you think your dad should still be working as a firefighter in his 80s or do you think he should be retired? Cuz yeah, he'll need funding when he chooses to stop working too.

I appreciate your reply, let me just illiterate the fact that I never said I am sad about the amount of tax my parents pay.
In response to my dad working as a firefighter in his 80s my answer is yes I think he should retire, however his funding once he has retired comes from his pension which he would have decided to set up and, I believe you have a choice whether or not to set up a pension- which my dad has- in which you authorise money to be deducted from your salary. This has nothing to do with my question of 'Does the Prime Minister pay tax'. Thanks
This money goes to fund people that decide not to work, so working people pay for other people that decide not to work or can't work to live etc.

Just for your information. Taxes raise about £800 billion a year. Of that, about £4 goes on the poorest in society who fall and hard times and if you feel that living on £70 a week is a breeze then go for it and sign on.

And you are right. Working people pay around 33% tax. However, if you are wealthy you have your earnings paid into a company. You pay yourself a pitance which means you avoid national insurance and then take a 6 monthly dividend which incurs around 20% tax. And if course excess monies are offshored tax free. I imagine Boris does this on non-ministerial earnings.
Original post by ByEeek
Just for your information. Taxes raise about £800 billion a year. Of that, about £4 goes on the poorest in society who fall and hard times and if you feel that living on £70 a week is a breeze then go for it and sign on.

And you are right. Working people pay around 33% tax. However, if you are wealthy you have your earnings paid into a company. You pay yourself a pitance which means you avoid national insurance and then take a 6 monthly dividend which incurs around 20% tax. And if course excess monies are offshored tax free. I imagine Boris does this on non-ministerial earnings.

I find it absolutely appalling how **** if you say is true in regards to only £4 going to the poorest in society. I find it shocking that the government get all this money and we still have people on the streets homeless. I see where your coming from.
Reply 11
I appreciate your reply, let me just illiterate the fact that I never said I am sad about the amount of tax my parents pay.
In response to my dad working as a firefighter in his 80s my answer is yes I think he should retire, however his funding once he has retired comes from his pension which he would have decided to set up and, I believe you have a choice whether or not to set up a pension- which my dad has- in which you authorise money to be deducted from your salary. This has nothing to do with my question of 'Does the Prime Minister pay tax'. Thanks

Deductions from a salary entirely paid for by taxpayers.

It doesn't, but it has everything to do with your diversion into saying the tax your parents pay being too high.
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek

When you say 'I imagine', I take it you haven't looked up the accounts for the UK holding company?
Reply 13
I find it absolutely appalling how **** if you say is true in regards to only £4 going to the poorest in society. I find it shocking that the government get all this money and we still have people on the streets homeless. I see where your coming from.

Gottaa pay your mum and dad salaries right? How is it shocking?

Could give them a pay cut and give more to get people off the streets.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Of course he does. He is such a good leader.

He is the worst Prime Minister of all time but still has to pay tax.

Well to answer your question, yes. Boris does not manage the tax money himself (The Chancellor and Treasury do) and release a budget of what they spend it on. The budget was released today actually.
Usually tax goes into the NHS, Welfare systems but also investment in companies and ensuring that the economy is running smoothly. Nationalised companies (owned by the Government) are also funded by tax and provide many train/bus and previously the postal service.
Finally, you say that people pay 33% of their income to tax. Well that depends really on the tax bracket you are in. For example, it is only X% amount if you earn £Y and could be higher in % f you earn higher in £.
Tax allocation is almost certainly not efficient however, but this is due to the so-far unsolvable Economic Problem.
Original post by Quady
Deductions from a salary entirely paid for by taxpayers.

It doesn't, but it has everything to do with your diversion into saying the tax your parents pay being too high.

yes I didn’t may parent pay too high. My problem lies with all or at least most of the people paying tax yet we still have people homeless and we still have a national health service that is under strain. I believe we raise more than enough tax as a country to be able to fund these services properly. I was concerned in respect of how much tax people pay in general using my situation as an example. I find we pay all this tax yet we don’t really have much to show for it. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure everyone in the country appreciates our free healthcare but it’s not perfect and I just think the government have the funds to make it perfect yet they are failing. And all I really wanted to know was if the PM pays tax which we have established he must certainly does. Thanks
Original post by 2_versions
Well to answer your question, yes. Boris does not manage the tax money himself (The Chancellor and Treasury do) and release a budget of what they spend it on. The budget was released today actually.
Usually tax goes into the NHS, Welfare systems but also investment in companies and ensuring that the economy is running smoothly. Nationalised companies (owned by the Government) are also funded by tax and provide many train/bus and previously the postal service.
Finally, you say that people pay 33% of their income to tax. Well that depends really on the tax bracket you are in. For example, it is only X% amount if you earn £Y and could be higher in % f you earn higher in £.
Tax allocation is almost certainly not efficient however, but this is due to the so-far unsolvable Economic Problem.

Quite right! If only we could solve this economic problem
Original post by barnetlad
He is the worst Prime Minister of all time but still has to pay tax.

Yes i do think he could be doing a better job as PM, thanks
Original post by Quady
Gottaa pay your mum and dad salaries right? How is it shocking?

Could give them a pay cut and give more to get people off the streets.

It’s shocking because of the - what I think - the unfair distribution of tax payers money

Quick Reply

Latest