ArielGriffiths
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there I'm a final year Animation degree student and I am currently applying to do a Secondary PGCE in Art & Design. I was wondering if anyone could evaluate if the amount of experience I've got is any good while I'm looking for more.

I have:

1 week at a Nursery/Reception (Over 5 years ago)

1 week at a Post-16 Music Academy

3 workshops at my university teaching college students about my course

2 months as a coaching assistant for my university's cheer team

1 day shadowing a Secondary English teacher

1 day shadowing a Primary teacher.

I'm applying for more but I wanted to know if I've got enough to apply for the 2020/2021 season as I'm running out of time to get more experience before I have to make my application.

Thanks
Jonathan1995
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're confident that you can relate your coaching, workshop and primary experience to your application then I wouldn't worry. I had five days in a secondary school and was offered a place on a SCITT. The length and range of your involvement with young people should give you plenty to talk about. Ensure, though, that you don't let the experience speak for itself and spend some time ahead of any interviews thinking of how you'll "sell" your history in those various placements. Good luck!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ArielGriffiths)
Hi there I'm a final year Animation degree student and I am currently applying to do a Secondary PGCE in Art & Design. I was wondering if anyone could evaluate if the amount of experience I've got is any good while I'm looking for more.

I have:

1 week at a Nursery/Reception (Over 5 years ago)

1 week at a Post-16 Music Academy

3 workshops at my university teaching college students about my course

2 months as a coaching assistant for my university's cheer team

1 day shadowing a Secondary English teacher

1 day shadowing a Primary teacher.

I'm applying for more but I wanted to know if I've got enough to apply for the 2020/2021 season as I'm running out of time to get more experience before I have to make my application.

Thanks
Hi @arielgriffiths

You have a lot of experience which is great. Due to peoples circumstances, it varies the amount of experience each person can get, so it's not a requirement that has to be done, however, it does help when you are able to reflect on the experiences you have teaching/leading young people, especially classroom experience, which is what you are going into.

So my advice is, if you could get more experience, especially shadowing an Art department, which is what you want to teach, then great and this will allow you to reflect directly on this in your personal statement and then interview. If you really can't get anymore as you don't have time, then as long as you really sell why you want to be a teacher and truly reflect on your experiences then you should be absolutely fine.

If you need more help, register with Get Into Teaching and we can offer you a 1 to 1 advisory service to help you through all of this.

Hope this helps.
Dan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.24%
No (557)
65.76%

Watched Threads