ArielGriffiths
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there I'm a final year Animation degree student and I am currently applying to do a Secondary PGCE in Art & Design. I was wondering if anyone could evaluate if the amount of experience I've got is any good while I'm looking for more.

I have:

1 week at a Nursery/Reception (Over 5 years ago)

1 week at a Post-16 Music Academy

3 workshops at my university teaching college students about my course

2 months as a coaching assistant for my university's cheer team

1 day shadowing a Secondary English teacher

1 day shadowing a Primary teacher.

I'm applying for more but I wanted to know if I've got enough to apply for the 2020/2021 season as I'm running out of time to get more experience before I have to make my application.

Thanks
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If I were in your shoes, I would look into getting more experience specifically in an art classroom at a secondary school. If I'm understanding your experience correctly, you only have 1 day of experience observing KS3 and KS4 age children, and this wasn't in art.

Not only is there potential that it will put training providers off, but also you need to consider if you're ready to commit to a pretty intense year of teacher training when you've not got much experience at all of seeing what a secondary school art classroom looks like.
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My best recommendation is to get as much as you can. I know people who have dropped out because they didn't realise what teaching actually consists of (primary ed) and it came back to bite them within a few weeks of uni/during placement. I know quite a few people who have nearly finished training, but don't want to teach now. More experience before puts you in a better place, in my opinion.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ArielGriffiths)
Hi there I'm a final year Animation degree student and I am currently applying to do a Secondary PGCE in Art & Design. I was wondering if anyone could evaluate if the amount of experience I've got is any good while I'm looking for more.

I have:

1 week at a Nursery/Reception (Over 5 years ago)

1 week at a Post-16 Music Academy

3 workshops at my university teaching college students about my course

2 months as a coaching assistant for my university's cheer team

1 day shadowing a Secondary English teacher

1 day shadowing a Primary teacher.

I'm applying for more but I wanted to know if I've got enough to apply for the 2020/2021 season as I'm running out of time to get more experience before I have to make my application.

Thanks
Hello ArielGriffiths

Schools and Universities are not allowed to set the numbers of days of experience that you have as a recruitment criteria. Therefore, you have more than enough relevant experience already. However, you need to be able to analyse and reflect on that experience in your application and at interview. It would never harm an application for more experience though!

To help write your application, please call 0800 389 2500 or register here. A teacher training adviser will be able to help you pick the best provider for you, support you to write an outstanding personal statement and deliver a superb performance at interview.

All the very best!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.86%
No (504)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed