Is it possible to form a new political party

Watch
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
After getting expelled from the Labour Party, is it possible to form a new party. I was thinking of setting up a new Party called Blue Labour or National Labour.
Nexus_Heathenss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
After getting expelled from the Labour Party, is it possible to form a new party. I was thinking of setting up a new Party called Blue Labour or National Labour.
Unfortunately, you would need some major backing to even have a chance to form a new political party, so unless you already have a lot of supporters, and I mean a lot, as well as a clear end goal, you probably can't
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nexus_Heathenss)
Unfortunately, you would need some major backing to even have a chance to form a new political party, so unless you already have a lot of supporters, and I mean a lot, as well as a clear end goal, you probably can't
Fair enough, I might as well stand as an Independent candidate
watershower
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just out of curiosity, how would your hypothetical Blue Labour party be different from the normal Red Labour party?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Possible? Yes.
Likely? No, the logistics involved to establish a national party are insane. It took UKIP 20 years to gain enough attention to be a national party, and they're a rare success story.
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by watershower)
Just out of curiosity, how would your hypothetical Blue Labour party be different from the normal Red Labour party?
It will be socially conservative, pro freedom of speech, anti EU, and pro working class.
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Possible? Yes.
Likely? No, the logistics involved to establish a national party are insane. It took UKIP 20 years to gain enough attention to be a national party, and they're a rare success story.
Yeah, you’re right in the national and general sense. However, I was referring to the TSR.
Joleee
Report 2 weeks ago
i don't know the rules to forming a new party, but what i gather it isn't that simple. can you join an existing one? or is everyone else not suitable to you politically(?).
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah, you’re right in the national and general sense. However, I was referring to the TSR.
You should be posting in MHoC then, otherwise people are going to think you mean for real.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not likely, but the Macron magic certainly did its trick - La République En Marche!
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
i don't know the rules to forming a new party, but what i gather it isn't that simple. can you join an existing one? or is everyone else not suitable to you politically(?).
I can’t join the Labour Party, since I got expelled. I will never join the Liberal Democrat’s, I’m not a Libertarian (although I do respect them a lot as a party), and I’m not sure about joining the Conservatives.
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
You should be posting in MHoC then, otherwise people are going to think you mean for real.
As the Posies once said, ‘I guess you’re right’.
Joleee
Report 2 weeks ago
I can’t join the Labour Party, since I got expelled. I will never join the Liberal Democrat’s, I’m not a Libertarian (although I do respect them a lot as a party), and I’m not sure about joining the Conservatives.
i don't know what happened with you and Labour (don't care either) but not sure why you're writing off Lib Dems. i am a Liberal Democrat on TSR and i doubt you know much about my politicals (not trying to entice you btw. just saying).

if i were you, i'd ask the Conservatives? you seem feisty (in a good way). i bet they would welcome you.
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
i don't know what happened with you and Labour (don't care either) but not sure why you're writing off Lib Dems. i am a Liberal Democrat on TSR and i doubt you know much about my politicals (not trying to entice you btw. just saying).

if i were you, i'd ask the Conservatives? you seem feisty (in a good way). i bet they would welcome you.
Tbf, I would join the Liberals if it was 2005, and Charlie Kennedy was still leader. However, I’m not sure if the TSR Liberal Democrat’s are like the real life Liberal Democrat’s (pro-EU). If they are pro-EU, I think I might be at odds with the Party. Despite voting for the Conservatives in the General Election, I would never really want to join the party.
David-Isaac
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It will be socially conservative, pro freedom of speech, anti EU, and pro working class.
What's your idea on socially conservative? How would you deal with the monarchy, death penalty, immigration, climate change, religion, taxes, elitism, etc?
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by David-Isaac)
What's your idea on socially conservative? How would you deal with the monarchy, death penalty, immigration, climate change, religion, taxes, elitism, etc?
I’m pro monarchy, pro death penalty (only for serial killers, terrorists, and those involved in child grooming gangs), I’m for the Australian style point system, I’m pro Christian, but I do accept that people should criticise religion, I’m for cutting taxes (mainly corporation tax and VAT). I’m against elitism (I think the metropolitan liberal elite are too powerful)
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
unlikely. Plenty of much richer and better connected people have tried.

It seems like the only way to get any ground at the moment is to have a lot of money and latch on to a niche issue that isn't already covered by other parties.

To be honest, it would probably be easier to join the torries/labour, fake it for 5-10 years, try and become an MP, and then if successful, defect to your 'new party'.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a party I agree with (being a libertarian) but you could join the Workers' Party of Britain - George Galloway's the leader.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads