The Student Room Group

Finding it impossible to make friends at uni

Hi,

So basically, mental health problems have resulted in me having to retake the first year. Problem is I'm only resitting the second semester and now I'm really struggling to make friends. During lectures I usually try to make conversation with people around me but everyone already seems to have made friend groups from first semester. Same with classes as well, I've made only one friend who also already has an existing friend group and often skips the one class we have together. Since starting uni I've lost contact with my previous friends from home and I'm not making any proper friends while at uni either so I just wander around campus on my own feeling really lonely. Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks
Omg same , second semester and I still can’t make friends , everyone else had already friends , I’ve never felt so lonely ... that’s so sad. If you want to talk , I’m here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by aliencoming
Omg same , second semester and I still can’t make friends , everyone else had already friends , I’ve never felt so lonely ... that’s so sad. If you want to talk , I’m here :smile:

Yeah it hurts when you see everyone else has lots of friends while you're struggling to even make one friend
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So basically, mental health problems have resulted in me having to retake the first year. Problem is I'm only resitting the second semester and now I'm really struggling to make friends. During lectures I usually try to make conversation with people around me but everyone already seems to have made friend groups from first semester. Same with classes as well, I've made only one friend who also already has an existing friend group and often skips the one class we have together. Since starting uni I've lost contact with my previous friends from home and I'm not making any proper friends while at uni either so I just wander around campus on my own feeling really lonely. Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks

Hey!

Sorry to hear you're struggling to make friends, but it's completely normal to feel this way. There'll be plenty of other people in the exact same boat.

How about joining a club or society to meet people with similar interests? It might make conversation that much easier then. Or perhaps you could join a club outside of uni, look into volunteering or become a student ambassador?

I know people who didn't make their lifelong friends until their last year, and I know people who didn't make their best friends at uni, but instead found them after they graduated in the workplace for example. So don't let it worry you too much!

Good luck with everything :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending