The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80

I've attended private school all of my school life - thanks to countless bursaries and scholarships, and my mother's obsession with giving me the education she never had.

I speak supposedly well and am often accused of being posh as a result. This couldn't be farther from the truth - my accent has gathered itself from mingling with the more upper-class peers at my school, along with their parents and our teachers.

All of my family live in the roughest area in these parts, in council houses etc etc. They do manual jobs and I guess people would denote them as being "lower-class". When I'm visiting these family members I consciously drop my "posh" accent and drop t's like anything, to prevent being beaten up.

It's things like this that, to me, mean "posh" is pretty much impossible to define. As other people have said I believe it's a thoroughly outdated idea nowdays - unless you're talking extreme aristocracy like the Queen.

And I congratulate the person who indulges in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang :smile:
Reply 81
Tory Dan
Rah rah rah rah!

Rah?

Yah!
I live in a council house and people still call me posh because I have good maners and speak well, and the fact I used to live in Cambridge.
I suppose it depends on our own perceptions of 'posh.' I've once been told I was posh just from the way I drank a drink at lunch. :p: It was a carton drink though! And I don't live in a big mansion or have a posh accent (although I'm probably one of the only few in my school who speaks without dropping 't's from words).

I would say that it's probably more how somebody acts that makes them seem posh, rather than what they own.
Reply 84
L i b
Rah?

Yah!

Jolly good.

*shoots some pheasants and then goes for tiffin with Zara Phillips*
Reply 85
Tory Dan
and then goes for tiffin with Zara Phillips*

I'll have a slice of that action!
Reply 86
I HATE being called posh.
People think I'm posh based on my voice, where I live and where I go to school.

I'm proud to say I do not own anything tweed.

x
Hannah_x
I HATE being called posh.
People think I'm posh based on my voice, where I live and where I go to school.

I'm proud to say I do not own anything tweed.

x

You don't? How uncool. :p:
PinkMobilePhone
I assume her parents must be very articulate also? It's rare you'll find an articulate product of two ill mannered uncouth people.

:wink: I'm a rarity.
gee_shakedown
:wink: I'm a rarity.

Ditto! :p:
jismith1989
Ditto! :p:

My Dad once asked me how to spell "pub".......
Reply 91
jismith1989
You don't? How uncool. :p:

Oh, is it in ?!
*Sends the butler out to buy reams of tweed*
x
gee_shakedown
My Dad once asked me how to spell "pub".......

Aww, my parents -- my mum especially -- always ask me to spell things like that. It's a shame because they've not had the opportunities really...
Hannah_x
Oh, is it in ?!
*Sends the butler out to buy reams of tweed*
x

It's always in with me. But then I doubt that I'm in. :eek:
I got an internsip at a City law firm last summer, and I met a guy there who was my age but kept going on about 'daddy's money.' He got the internship because of 'daddy's connections', he was going to live out in university on 'daddy's money', he was going to get a car (can't remember the name) with 'daddy's money'... I thought he was posh, mainly because he kept boasting non-stop about his so-called superior daddy and his so-called superior mummy and their so-called superior 'two-parent family who could get him places and brought him up well' etc. Basically, he thought he had to flash his money around and that this made him better than me. The funny thing is, I worked alongside hundreds of suited men and women who were rich- I met sooo many public-school ecuated people. My supervisor used to ask me every night if he should order me a taxi home because he's never used public transport and he would never let his daughter use it if he could arrange something else. These people all spoke with an accent that I'd only heard on the Radio 4/Parilament channels etc. Yet I didn't consider any of them 'posh'. Just the guy I mentioned.

Also funnily enough, now that I've done well education-wise, started working, got a conditional offer to study Law at a good uni, and basically embraced academia and education, I'm branded as 'posh' by people I've known from way back. My accent hasn't change, I still speak the same (though my English when typed has dramatically improved after having to type out thousands of official letters), I still live in a council estate. I still have to deal with the same crap I've always had to deal with, but because I'm not wondering the streets like I used to, I'm suddenly posh.

All this has left me very confused and sceptical about the concept of 'posh', I don't believe that many people are. The question of who was posh was so much easier for me back in the day, I used to think everyone with a little extra money, everyone who could afford holidays and everyone who spoke standard English, etc was posh. Now, I don't think that's true, but I also don't know how to define posh...
Reply 95
jismith1989
It's always in with me. But then I doubt that I'm in. :eek:

You're a Classicist.
Of COURSE you're in !
x
Hannah_x
You're a Classicist.
Of COURSE you're in !
x

That's the first time I've had that said to me. :love:

:p:
Reply 97
jismith1989
That's the first time I've had that said to me. :love:

:p:

I find that hard to believe; surely no girl can resist a man who can quote Pliny ?
x
Hannah_x
I find that hard to believe; surely no girl can resist a man who can quote Pliny ?
x

I shall have to start memorising then. :biggrin:
Reply 99
jismith1989
I shall have to start memorising then. :biggrin:

I started reciting then . . . I hate myself.
x

Latest