The Student Room Group

Is studying a masters in Data Science worth it

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently studying BSc Computer Science in my 3rd year, and I'm wondering if I should do a Masters Degree in Data Science or not...I want to get a career in the Data Science field. I've been on an internship for 2 years where I am a Data Analyst, am I better off learning more skills on my own and working my way up in the company or will having a Masters degree make me more employable and equip better for a good job?

Any advice and help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
tbf I have the same situation. I graduated from BSc computer science and now applying for MSc Data Science. I have researched the job market in London, if you want to get into top-tier company / high pay the minimum qualification is a master degree. For a research position, they will require a PhD minimum.

There are the number of jobs still required bachelors as a minimum qualification but if you want to have more choices on employment + high pay, Master degree probably a good answer for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld012
tbf I have the same situation. I graduated from BSc computer science and now applying for MSc Data Science. I have researched the job market in London, if you want to get into top-tier company / high pay the minimum qualification is a master degree. For a research position, they will require a PhD minimum.

There are the number of jobs still required bachelors as a minimum qualification but if you want to have more choices on employment + high pay, Master degree probably a good answer for you.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I've been hearing the same thing in regards to having a masters degree opening up more choices for employment. I'm wondering if you have e.g. 3 years experience within the data field, would a masters boost your employment choices more or would the experience be enough...

Do you think it matters hugely what topic your masters is based on? Where have you applied and for what masters?
Reply 3
Original post by 123_sha
Thanks for your reply, yeah I've been hearing the same thing in regards to having a masters degree opening up more choices for employment. I'm wondering if you have e.g. 3 years experience within the data field, would a masters boost your employment choices more or would the experience be enough...

Do you think it matters hugely what topic your masters is based on? Where have you applied and for what masters?

Hi,

A master's degree will certainly be an added advantage to you, in the long run. I have got many friends working as Data Scientists in Ireland, France, Netherland, UK and India who have opted to do a master's despite having 3-4 years of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending