conservation of energy in a system with non conservative forces.Ex 9C.Question 9.

Watch
alevelmath1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Q. A golf ball of mass 45.9 g is hit from a tee with speed 50 m/s .The ball rises to a height of 20 m, having travelled along a curved path of length 61.875 m. At the highest point of its path the ball is traveling at 40 m/s .

a) Find the magnitude of the average resistance force acting on the golf ball.

I have found it correctly as 51/275 N

b) The ball travels a further 105.8 m along a curved path to land on the green . The green is 4 m lower than the tee. The average resistance remains unchanged.

Find the speed of the ball just before it lands on the green.
I also found this speed 35 m /s

c) The ball is travelling vertically when it lands on the green,where it is immediately brought to rest.
show that the energy absorbed by the green is 30.3 J.

I have a difficulty to understand the last part as what is the meaning of "energy absorbed "
as I know the the kinetic energy with mass 0.0459 kg is
(1/2)(0.0459)(35^2) = 28.11375 J.

My question is how I get 30.3 J. from this kinetic energy.
[ take g= 10( m/s)/s]
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by alevelmath1)
Q. A golf ball of mass 45.9 g is hit from a tee with speed 50 m/s .The ball rises to a height of 20 m, having travelled along a curved path of length 61.875 m. At the highest point of its path the ball is traveling at 40 m/s .

a) Find the magnitude of the average resistance force acting on the golf ball.

I have found it correctly as 51/275 N

b) The ball travels a further 105.8 m along a curved path to land on the green . The green is 4 m lower than the tee. The average resistance remains unchanged.

Find the speed of the ball just before it lands on the green.
I also found this speed 35 m /s

c) The ball is travelling vertically when it lands on the green,where it is immediately brought to rest.
show that the energy absorbed by the green is 30.3 J.

I have a difficulty to understand the last part as what is the meaning of "energy absorbed "
as I know the the kinetic energy with mass 0.0459 kg is
(1/2)(0.0459)(35^2) = 28.11375 J.

My question is how I get 30.3 J. from this kinetic energy.
[ take g= 10( m/s)/s]
I've not done the calculations, but your approach is correct. The "energy absorbed" is purely the ball's kinetic energy upon landing. I don't understand how (I do why) they can assert that the ball lands vertically though. Had I have written the question, I'd have said that it lands at 90 degrees to the ground.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed