The Student Room Group

Maths EPQ on Prime Numbers

Hello

I've been working on my EPQ with a title along the lines of "Why are mathematicians fascinated by prime numbers?"
Things that I've gone into detail about are:
-what is a prime number
-arguments about 1 being a prime number and the implications that would have to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic if we accepted 1 as prime
-unanswered questions regarding primes
-primes in cryptograhpy and also the Aricebo message (using primes to send a message into space)
-primes in nature (Cicadas insects having prime number length life cycles) which then linked on to mathematical beauty
-unanswered questions regarding prime numbers and if we'll ever really understand a pattern

I'm wondering if I have gone into detail about too many different things and that my essay should be focused on one particular thing (like cryptography for example) but I don't think I would be able to write 5000 words about cryptography and primes.

I'm also struggling to put across contrasting view points which I know I need to do in an EPQ. I wrote about arguments for regarding 1 as prime, and also arguments about whether humans will ever really understand prime numbers.

If anyone could offer advice I would be grateful.
Hi, I moved your thread to a more specific forum :h: are you in year 12?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Hi, I moved your thread to a more specific forum :h: are you in year 12?

I'm in year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending