The Student Room Group

I have Autism - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I know that relationships and friendships are different things.

Yeah I know you know, what I mean is that you cannot conclude that you will never have a relationship based on you not being brilliant at friendships (or at least having large quantities of friends). Due to friendships and relationships being different things.
Hi I am female with autism I have never been in a relationship I doubt that I will get married either even though I would love to get married. Do you suffer from any mental illness?I have been treated for depressed for the past 3 years now.
I think this is a total cop out. I am autistic and I'm married with kids. I go to university as a mature student, since I didn't finish school due to issues surrounding my undiagnosed autism. I had a horrible childhood and I have only a handful of friends as an adult. Feeling sorry for yourself and saying you can't do normal things is what will stop you being happy. Autism severely affects many people's lives but we don't all complain about it, we make the most of what we've been given.

What issues have you had due to undiagnosed autism? How old were you when you received your diagnosis?
Hi I am female with autism I have never been in a relationship I doubt that I will get married either even though I would love to get married. Do you suffer from any mental illness?I have been treated for depressed for the past 3 years now.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, chronic loneliness.
I’m 17 now and it was three months ago.

I was diagnosed aged 17 too so you think there were signs in your childhood that were missed? Why do you think your diagnosis was so late?
I’m 17 now and it was three months ago.

If you’ve been diagnosed that late in life, the level of impairment isn’t usually as severe as a case diagnosed in early childhood/teens. That is to say, you have a lot of potential, even though you may not feel like it
I was diagnosed aged 17 too so you think there were signs in your childhood that were missed? Why do you think your diagnosis was so late?

There were probably signs that were missed. I’m pretty sure that my parents dismissed it as ‘bad behaviour’ they are the sort of people to believe this. For example, my brother’s room when we were younger was twice as large; had a bunk bed and all the toys in his room. My room was a box room with a lock on it, it was always cold because there was a crumbling hole in the wall and that let warm air out. I had no toys and my room was beige, I only had clothes in my room.
My brother is two years younger than me
Mate. I have autism as well. I never thought I would succeed or do the things I wanted to do. I am now at university, I have found THE best friends I could ever wish to meet. They are all so caring and kind. You might not think you will be married or have friends now but someday that might change and I am a good example of that (:
If you’ve been diagnosed that late in life, the level of impairment isn’t usually as severe as a case diagnosed in early childhood/teens. That is to say, you have a lot of potential, even though you may not feel like it

That isn't true, especially for women. Autism has been ignored over the years as something that only affects males. When I was a kid I was just diagnosed as being a bit weird. As I grew up I was diagnosed with mental health issues, autism was completely overlooked. I was in my 30s when I was diagnosed. I have struggled my entire life and it is not acceptable to decide who struggles more than someone else based on the time of their diagnosis. Some people never get diagnosed.
There were probably signs that were missed. I’m pretty sure that my parents dismissed it as ‘bad behaviour’ they are the sort of people to believe this. For example, my brother’s room when we were younger was twice as large; had a bunk bed and all the toys in his room. My room was a box room with a lock on it, it was always cold because there was a crumbling hole in the wall and that let warm air out. I had no toys and my room was beige, I only had clothes in my room.

I am sorry to hear that it seems like you had a difficult childhood. Are you getting any treatment for your mental illness?
I am sorry to hear that it seems like you had a difficult childhood. Are you getting any treatment for your mental illness?

Nope
Original post by travelcollegeguy
Mate. I have autism as well. I never thought I would succeed or do the things I wanted to do. I am now at university, I have found THE best friends I could ever wish to meet. They are all so caring and kind. You might not think you will be married or have friends now but someday that might change and I am a good example of that (:

I literally have one friend, who is the very best of friends. She’s helping me a lot
I’m also autistic. Got diagnosed when I was 13, and I really struggled with a lot of things. I do still struggle, but at the moment I’m holding down a full time job in addition to volunteering, and I have a lot of people who I care about and an offer from my dream uni for the subject I love
Nope

Have you thought of seeking treatment. Being put on medication has really stabilised my condition.
Have you thought of seeking treatment. Being put on medication has really stabilised my condition.

Treatment was promised over a year ago.
Treatment was promised over a year ago.

It would be best to see your gp they can refer you again or prescribe medication if they think it is appropriate
I literally have one friend, who is the very best of friends. She’s helping me a lot

See that is amazing. Are you at college or school. Have lunch with her, ask her if she can come and sit with you with more people. Just take it in small steps. If you need help take it as well, talking is great never bottle away your emotions
It would be best to see your gp they can refer you again or prescribe medication if they think it is appropriate

Don't make false promises to OP. Medication doesn't treat autism. PERIOD.
Yes I know it can treat some obsessive symptoms in relation to autism.
And it can reduce behaviours-- basically sedating the person.
But meds are just an ineffective sticking plaster. And a way professionals can get away without actually helping you.
Don't make false promises to OP. Medication doesn't treat autism. PERIOD.
Yes I know it can treat some obsessive symptoms in relation to autism.
And it can reduce behaviours-- basically sedating the person.
But meds are just an ineffective sticking plaster. And a way professionals can get away without actually helping you.

OP himself said they feel depressed on page 1 of this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending