Anisha23456789
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi I received a grade 4 for my english langauge gcse last year (2019). I am thinking of applying to Oxford.

I understand that Oxford does take consideration of GCSE Results.

Will this grade affect my application?

I would like to apply for an engineering course at Oxford...are year 12 mock results more important and relevant in me being considered a place there?

While the interview and entrance tests and personal statements is important, is it better for me to apply to Cambridge instead?

Does University of Cambridge take less care for GCSE Results and basis there considerations on Year 12 Mock A Level Results than Oxford?

Please kindly suggest.

Anisha.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anisha23456789)
Hi I received a grade 4 for my english langauge gcse last year (2019). I am thinking of applying to Oxford.

I understand that Oxford does take consideration of GCSE Results.

Will this grade affect my application?

I would like to apply for an engineering course at Oxford...are year 12 mock results more important and relevant in me being considered a place there?

While the interview and entrance tests and personal statements is important, is it better for me to apply to Cambridge instead?

Does University of Cambridge take less care for GCSE Results and basis there considerations on Year 12 Mock A Level Results than Oxford?

Please kindly suggest.

Anisha.
Realistically, both Oxford and Cambridge care about GCSEs and having a 4 in any GCSE will make your application slightly less competitive compared to other candidates with clean sweeps of As and A*s. You would maybe be slightly better off applying to Cambridge as they place a little less weighting on GCSEs than Oxford, but regardless of which you apply to, you’d need amazing Year 12 results, close to 3A* predictions and a great entrance test score, reference and personal statement to boost your chances. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (139)
14.42%
I'm not sure (42)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (288)
29.88%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (470)
48.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise