Are seminars really worth it!

Watch
The fewhale
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
okay, so heres the thing. i have been to all my lectures give or take (probably missed 5 overall) and i've been to nearly all of my seminars (except when ive been ill and couldnt go) but theres this one seminar .. for the Romantic period.. ive been to the lectures, and they bore me to death because i have lived and breathed the romantic period since yr11 (i study english lit btw) so most things are repeated. anyway, in the seminar it is all a repeat of the lecture and then a book review... every two weeks. i have yet to attend one of these seminars. i find the slides online and then do the work. easy. not missing out. i know a lot of people will say 'you're paying for it! you have to go' but a two hour seminar with a tutor who speaks limited english and reads off of her slides... i dont think so, i can barely stay awake. anyway, if your worrying about missing a seminar, dont, 9/10 its the same old stuff from the lecture, and just to clarify i go to all my other seminars and lectures for the rest of my modules its just this one seminar i cannot stand.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The fewhale)
okay, so heres the thing. i have been to all my lectures give or take (probably missed 5 overall) and i've been to nearly all of my seminars (except when ive been ill and couldnt go) but theres this one seminar .. for the Romantic period.. ive been to the lectures, and they bore me to death because i have lived and breathed the romantic period since yr11 (i study english lit btw) so most things are repeated. anyway, in the seminar it is all a repeat of the lecture and then a book review... every two weeks. i have yet to attend one of these seminars. i find the slides online and then do the work. easy. not missing out. i know a lot of people will say 'you're paying for it! you have to go' but a two hour seminar with a tutor who speaks limited english and reads off of her slides... i dont think so, i can barely stay awake. anyway, if your worrying about missing a seminar, dont, 9/10 its the same old stuff from the lecture, and just to clarify i go to all my other seminars and lectures for the rest of my modules its just this one seminar i cannot stand.
Hey The fewhale

I am sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your seminars.

If this is something that concerns you, you can go to your head of department to discuss your concerns and see how they can be improved upon. As a student, you want the best out of your education. I personally found my seminars really beneficial as we would use the time to have a more interactive session involving, debates, team questions, and group activities.

I hope you start to enjoy your seminars again soon.

Ashley
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
That's a real shame. You should be getting some interaction with others in the seminar surely? That's the main reason I attend mine.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Not all seminars across every degree course are like this, some are discussion-based and more interactive, so you are just unfortunate in your dislike of this particular seminar. You're within your rights not to attend (as long as the lack of attendance doesn't come back to bite you later), so if you're happy to miss them and still do the work, good for you I guess.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Nah mate, you do what it best for you. My seminars are just a waste of time because no one says anything.

Just be careful they might pick you up on attendance but if you are happy otherwise then I don't see a problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
22.27%
Note taking apps (6)
2.52%
Flashcards (45)
18.91%
Revision guides (15)
6.3%
Past papers (111)
46.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.36%

Watched Threads