The Student Room Group

Computer science A level (Programming)

I am fairly new to computer science. In fact, I started this year in sixth form and I was unfamiliar with programming or computer science in general.... however, I graspsd it very well (mainly the theory). Im wondering how to get better at programming atm. I have done databases, sorting algorithms, search and graphical user interface but I am struggling with being able to solve a problem in programming. I am very great in remembering but I am not sure when it comes to creating things of my own. I have just been going off of what I have researched and studied. I am programming in python and I get all the theory behind things, what the question is asking and how to solve it. I can literally just write it down and know how to on paper and in fact initially in my head. However, I am always unsure on how to use programming to actually solve these problems.
Reply 1
I used to learn programming by making 2D ASCII (character) graphics games in BASIC.

My favourite were racing games where you got a car at the bottom scrolling left and right and cars scrolling down.
First making the visual working was tricky.

My early days I would clear the screen on each re-draw.
Then I learnt how to use white space to clear the area of the screen that I am editing.
Then I added a points system to score how long you drive at high speed.
Then I added a life system and crash "ASCII-art".
Then I added sound.
Then I added import/export of the ASCII data from an external file.

The game did not get immensely better, but I had to learn new commands, experiment a while, re-structure code, recognize better ways of re-defining functions, etc.

This was 25 years ago.... recently when I tried again I was like "wow... I am starting at near zero position"
The key to being able to solve problems using the likes of a programming language, depends upon your ability to think programatically, how would you achieve a tell a computer how to solve a problem?

In my personal opinion you have to start with creating small programs that can acheieve a specific result. For example, start with trying to reverse a string, try your best not to use the internet to help you, see where you get, if you really don't understand, at that point use Google to assist you. But being able to incorperate the building blocks into these problems, arrays, indexers, variables, functions/methods in an attempt to solve an issue, or achieve a desired result.

Another great way to develop programmatic thinking is implementing a cipher (I've done a few of these over my time, ranging from easy to mildly infuriating in terms of trying to get it working xD), whether it be the likes of the Caeser Cipher, or another. Trying to implement these ciphers without the need to use the internet (mostly because you don't need any additional libraries ect.. in most cases) can be a great way to start trying to think in a programmatic way to help you to be able to solve problems.
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah I need help aswell how do you learn it easily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending