Chery12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,
Apologies but this might be a long one! In the academic year2008/09 I did a pgce, in the second term my appendix burst and I had peritonitis. After 2 weeks in hospital I was visited by my tutor who, in so many words said I would have to quit because I’d be having too much time off to complete the course, I was also advised to inform SLC as that was something the university didn’t do. I wrote to them in 2009 explaining the situation. Fast forward eleven years and I now have a letter telling me I owe over a thousand pounds in an overpaid student grant. The SLC are saying I need the university to confirm life threatening illness was the cause of me quitting but the university has no record of me! I’m really not sure why I should be paying for this and would appreciate any advice you have... many Thanks in advance 😊
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chery12)
Hi everyone,
Apologies but this might be a long one! In the academic year2008/09 I did a pgce, in the second term my appendix burst and I had peritonitis. After 2 weeks in hospital I was visited by my tutor who, in so many words said I would have to quit because I’d be having too much time off to complete the course, I was also advised to inform SLC as that was something the university didn’t do. I wrote to them in 2009 explaining the situation. Fast forward eleven years and I now have a letter telling me I owe over a thousand pounds in an overpaid student grant. The SLC are saying I need the university to confirm life threatening illness was the cause of me quitting but the university has no record of me! I’m really not sure why I should be paying for this and would appreciate any advice you have... many Thanks in advance 😊
What they appear to be seeking is some form of overpayment i.e money paid to you for a period when you were not a student.
If you dont have any documents from the uni, you could get a letter from them confirming that due to data protection they hold no information about you as they only keep it for so long.
You can go to your GP and see if theres anything on your GP records about the burst appendix or contact the hospital to confirm thats what you were n for.
Give them information on burst appendix and peritonitis with the above and see what their response is..
Chery12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What they appear to be seeking is some form of overpayment i.e money paid to you for a period when you were not a student.
If you dont have any documents from the uni, you could get a letter from them confirming that due to data protection they hold no information about you as they only keep it for so long.
You can go to your GP and see if theres anything on your GP records about the burst appendix or contact the hospital to confirm thats what you were n for.
Give them information on burst appendix and peritonitis with the above and see what their response is..
Thank you.
I was thinking about going down the medical record route but the info on the uni situation is really helpful. Really appreciate your help
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chery12)
Thank you.
I was thinking about going down the medical record route but the info on the uni situation is really helpful. Really appreciate your help
If you think about it your position is SFE are asking you for information that doesnt exist.
You need to confirm to them it doesnt exist and an official letter from the Uni supports that.
If you then get a letter from GP and or hospital which should show on a medical basis what was happening plus give some background on the condition, then it gives them enough to think about and hopefully enough for them to drop it.

If you were overpaid you were overpaid, but I would point out 11 years later is ridiculous and their delay has in part meant the data has been destroyed.

That is the angle I would go for. Dont admit owing the money, just focus on the information they asked for and the events at the time..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (212)
33.65%
No (418)
66.35%

Watched Threads