Alisahogg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am really struggling with the Buddhism side of the RS A level, does anyone have any resources that they'd consider sharing?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi I moved your thread to a more specific forum hopefully people with more knowledge will see this better
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Alisahogg)
I am really struggling with the Buddhism side of the RS A level, does anyone have any resources that they'd consider sharing?
Already asked in the other thread what you are struggling with. I don't teach at A Level but I am an expert in Indian philosophy and religion, particularly Buddhism
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I started teaching Buddhism a year ago and I've been making my own resources for the OCR A level specification because there is hardly anything else available online. They are a pretty messy work in progress so hopefully gjd800 doesn't judge me for that.. : P you can find them here: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joe312)
I started teaching Buddhism a year ago and I've been making my own resources for the OCR A level specification because there is hardly anything else available online. They are a pretty messy work in progress so hopefully gjd800 doesn't judge me for that.. : P you can find them here: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/
Haha not at all. Interesting to see that a distinction between Theravada and Mahayana is still being taught when the oldest written manuscripts that we have access to (Gandharan scrolls) suggest that both 'styles' were taught together without distinction.

I guess it is hard to shift old myths!
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Haha not at all. Interesting to see that a distinction between Theravada and Mahayana is still being taught when the oldest written manuscripts that we have access to (Gandharan scrolls) suggest that both 'styles' were taught together without distinction.

I guess it is hard to shift old myths!
That is pretty interesting, does that mean there isn't opposition between the Arhant and Bodhisattva paths? What about belief in emptiness, is there no group that rejects it because it's not in the pali cannon?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joe312)
That is pretty interesting, does that mean there isn't opposition between the Arhant and Bodhisattva paths? What about belief in emptiness, is there no group that rejects it because it's not in the pali cannon?
It looks as though it was more a variation in method rather than variation in doctrine, but we'd need to find more stuff to know for sure. The Gandharan stuff is super early, earlier than surviving Pāli canon stuff, so it could be the case that there were canons (plural) or that (as implied by the Gandharan stuff) any divergence was just superficial upaya type stuff rather than codified 'traditions'
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Re emptiness, Alex Wynn did a great piece on how the Buddha was probably a proto-sunyavadin, attested to by implication in the Pāli Canon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads