Can’t afford the cheapest accommodation

Watch
Bethem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey so, I’ve accepted Sheffield University as my firm choice- I currently live in London so living at home is kinda a no go.

I’ve looked into how much of a loan I could get and the maintenance loan wouldn’t cover even the CHEAPEST accommodation.

It’s all because my household funds come up to over £60,000 because of my mum and step dads jobs- but I get NONE of that money. I’m all on my own and have no idea what to do.

I’ve got a job and have already started saving, but I don’t earn very much.

Does anyone have any advice for me or know who I could talk to? I would be EXTREMELY THANKFUL as I honestly have no idea what I can do.

Thank you so much in advance!
YUSLP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cheapest accomodation i saw yesterday was for £4300.

I chose the £4600 option. Still a standard bed but its only 10mins from uni. The other is 20mins away and i dislike long morning walks.

So yeah you will need £4300 for cheapest. Do remember before year abroad you need to show you have £9K in bank too! So unless parents are gonna help you out. SAVE!

I'd recomend applying for a scholarship but i dont know if you'd get it.

Although you COULD be sneaky about it and get maximum loans. I.E move out from your family home and live on rent till september. Put your rent place as your house address and you should be able to circumvent the rules. Dont quote me on that though
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was in a similar situation in London as an undergrad.
I've never lived on campus, rented a room in houseshares with working professionals and students.
Best advice is to keep living expenses as low as possible, work during term-time work weekends or part time during weekdays, have credit cards and a student overdraft.

Student finance is calculated based on household income and on the basis that employed parents will financially contribute towards their children's living expenses.
For students that receive no parental support, the only option is to stick to a strict budget and try to earn as much as possible.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bethem)
Hey so, I’ve accepted Sheffield University as my firm choice- I currently live in London so living at home is kinda a no go.

I’ve looked into how much of a loan I could get and the maintenance loan wouldn’t cover even the CHEAPEST accommodation.

It’s all because my household funds come up to over £60,000 because of my mum and step dads jobs- but I get NONE of that money. I’m all on my own and have no idea what to do.

I’ve got a job and have already started saving, but I don’t earn very much.

Does anyone have any advice for me or know who I could talk to? I would be EXTREMELY THANKFUL as I honestly have no idea what I can do.

Thank you so much in advance!
Bit mean of the parentals not to help you.

You have two choices

1. Take a gap year and earn some money or

2. Look at Spareroom.com. If you are prepared to not live in halls, you can get very cheap accommodation. £200 per month - bills included. I rent my rooms out through spare room and I get lovely tenants on the whole.

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshar...ce_low_to_high
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (241)
33.94%
No (469)
66.06%

Watched Threads