Women footballers demand equal pay and news coverage to men

Watch
perplexed turtle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by generallee)
...apparently in Australia. The national team is ranked 5th in the world after all, way ahead of their male equivalents.

So it all sounds awfully diverse, and progressive and downright sensible to accord them absolute equality until you read news stories like this...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3257266.html

Ouch, that had to hurt!
they deserve the same coverage- but in terms of money, it depends on the women to bring that money in
Advertisement
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Gb -

You have misrepresented my position here.

I am a free market conservative essentially. Sure I might wish that the most brilliant violinist earned more for his or her sublime musical skill than the latest, talent free rapper du jour, as a point of moral principle, but I know the market doesn't work like that.

I am comfortable for women footballers to get paid what the market determines. But I don't like the invocation of equal pay legislation through law suits brought on the grounds of social justice. Especially when (as I think I have successfully argued on this thread) women's football is not the equal of men's. Even in the US, the county where it is non plus ultra.
I'm trying to understand your position here, in good faith.

If women's soccer in the USA pulls in more money than men's soccer, what's the issue with women's players being paid equal or higher to their male counterparts?

As a free market Conservative, you surely recognise that almost no one is paid purely on their skill level but rather on what someone is willing to pay for them. In the legal industry, for example, you will have phenomenally brilliant and skilful criminal lawyers being paid a fraction of what bog standard average corporate lawyers are paid.

If you don't have an issue with the above analogy, what is your issue in terms of women's soccer players being paid more than those who may be more skilful but generate less revenue.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your position.
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Gb -

I'm trying to understand your position here, in good faith.

If women's soccer in the USA pulls in more money than men's soccer, what's the issue with women's players being paid equal or higher to their male counterparts?

As a free market Conservative, you surely recognise that almost no one is paid purely on their skill level but rather on what someone is willing to pay for them. In the legal industry, for example, you will have phenomenally brilliant and skilful criminal lawyers being paid a fraction of what bog standard average corporate lawyers are paid.

If you don't have an issue with the above analogy, what is your issue in terms of women's soccer players being paid more than those who may be more skilful but generate less revenue.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your position.
My brother in law is a barrister. He says that when a Judge asks lots of questions that can't be answered satisfactorily, the stock response is "That is my case, my Lord."

That is my case, my Lord.
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My brother in law is a barrister. He says that when a Judge asks lots of questions that can't be answered satisfactorily, the stock response is "That is my case, my Lord."

That is my case, my Lord.
:rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (42)
60%
No (28)
40%

Watched Threads