Poll: SQA advanced higher maths or statistics?
Advanced higher maths (1)
50%
Advanced higher statistics (1)
50%
chinchilla2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to do medicine when I go to uni, is it more helpful to take advanced higher maths or statistics?
Which one is easier?
emilylhorrocks
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think your best option would be to call Unis to see which they would prefer, but my maths teacher is recommending statistics over maths at AH if you want to do medicine as it most relevant and will help you during your first year of uni more than maths will. His nephew is currently working as a junior doctor and took AH statistics in s6 and says that it was extremely helpful. Unfortunately i cannot comment on personal experience as i haven't started s6 yet but i hope this is somewhat helpful!
chinchilla2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilylhorrocks)
I think your best option would be to call Unis to see which they would prefer, but my maths teacher is recommending statistics over maths at AH if you want to do medicine as it most relevant and will help you during your first year of uni more than maths will. His nephew is currently working as a junior doctor and took AH statistics in s6 and says that it was extremely helpful. Unfortunately i cannot comment on personal experience as i haven't started s6 yet but i hope this is somewhat helpful!
Thank you! that's really helpful!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chinchilla2002)
I want to do medicine when I go to uni, is it more helpful to take advanced higher maths or statistics?
Which one is easier?
Either (or both, or neither in most cases) would be totally fine. Anecdotally I would suggest stats would be more helpful, however, it shouldn't make a difference in terms of how your application would be viewed. Stats is offered in a very tiny number of schools, so resources wise, there's lots more resources out there for maths.
chinchilla2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Either (or both, or neither in most cases) would be totally fine. Anecdotally I would suggest stats would be more helpful, however, it shouldn't make a difference in terms of how your application would be viewed. Stats is offered in a very tiny number of schools, so resources wise, there's lots more resources out there for maths.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (224)
33.73%
No (440)
66.27%

Watched Threads