loganscott
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was wondering if anyone doing higher English could explain how they analyse word choice and different types of imagery for close reading, essays and set text.
sparkypreston
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I study A level English Literature and going on to study it at university so maybe I can help, what kind of texts are you looking to focus on? and at what level (GCSE, A Level etc)
loganscott
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply. My class is looking at the Great Gatsby and Carol Ann Duffy's poems at higher level which I believe is between the difficulty of GSCE and A Level.
sparkypreston
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well one basic way that I’ve analysed words is by looking at a quote from either the poetry or the novel, and looking at the terms and seeing if they have an devices. In poetry, this is much easier as normally there are metaphors, similes, etc but as I haven’t read either so honestly can’t be too specific as I don’t know them. But once i’ve got the quote with language devices, I see how it can link with the question I have to answer, so (as an example), the quote from Macbeth, ‘look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it’ (it’s something like that) can link to the theme of reputation as it is exploring the idea of apperences vs reality, and develops Macbeth’s changing persona. I hope this helps, it’s very hard to explain on this! Is there any help you need with paragraphing, or the AOs that you have to use? Let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.65%
Uncertainty around my education (194)
15.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (140)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (180)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (56)
4.42%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (71)
5.6%
Loneliness (111)
8.75%
Financial worries (45)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (116)
9.15%

Watched Threads