The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Nursing Application and Independent Student

Hello, I'm applying for student finance for my postgraduate nursing course. Where I can apply for funding the same as an undergraduate. I have started the application process on student finance, it is asking for my parents infomration for the maintenance loan. However I will be 25 before my course starts and hence count as an independent student, I have yet to find an option or tick box which allows me to state I am an independent student. Do I still add in my parents information? Will I need to change my living satus to say I'm not living with my parents, will that change anything?
I would appreciate some help as I am a little confused?
Thanks
Original post by JoanneB4395
Hello, I'm applying for student finance for my postgraduate nursing course. Where I can apply for funding the same as an undergraduate. I have started the application process on student finance, it is asking for my parents infomration for the maintenance loan. However I will be 25 before my course starts and hence count as an independent student, I have yet to find an option or tick box which allows me to state I am an independent student. Do I still add in my parents information? Will I need to change my living satus to say I'm not living with my parents, will that change anything?
I would appreciate some help as I am a little confused?
Thanks

Hi Joanne,

will you be 25 before the 01/09/2020? If not, then we will need your parents details to support your application for the higher finance.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Joanne,

will you be 25 before the 01/09/2020? If not, then we will need your parents details to support your application for the higher finance.

Thanks,
Claire

Hello Claire,

My course starts at the end of November and I am 25 at the beginning of October, which is before my course start date. When I called student finance a couple of weeks ago they said I should be able to apply as an independent student.

Thanks
Joanne
Hello Claire,

My course starts at the end of November and I am 25 at the beginning of October, which is before my course start date. When I called student finance a couple of weeks ago they said I should be able to apply as an independent student.

Thanks
Joanne

If you wish to apply as independent, you would need to prove you have self supported for 3 years before the start of your course. This would be P60's or benefit letters etc.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
If you wish to apply as independent, you would need to prove you have self supported for 3 years before the start of your course. This would be P60's or benefit letters etc.

Thanks,
Claire

Hello Claire,

Sorry I'm still really confused. On the UCAS and student finance website (https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-independent-students) it states:
"You'll be classed as independent if:
You’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year you’re applying for student finance
You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course"

I will be 25 on the first day of my courses 1st academic year, as my course is postgraduate and hence does not run from the typical September to July, as it runs November to November each year, and I won't receive my first loan from student finance until November.
Unfortunately I do not meet the criteria of being supported by myself for 3 years, as I have only been self supported for 2 years, since beginning work after my first degree completed.
I'm seeming to get mixed answers, when I called student finance 2 weeks ago they said I can apply as an independent student due to the fact I will be over 25 before the official academic start of my course. So why is it that i now have to meet the criteria for being self supported for 3 years.
I'm really confused by all the mixed information.
Hello Claire,

Sorry I'm still really confused. On the UCAS and student finance website (https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-independent-students) it states:
"You'll be classed as independent if:
You’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year you’re applying for student finance
You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course"

I will be 25 on the first day of my courses 1st academic year, as my course is postgraduate and hence does not run from the typical September to July, as it runs November to November each year, and I won't receive my first loan from student finance until November.
Unfortunately I do not meet the criteria of being supported by myself for 3 years, as I have only been self supported for 2 years, since beginning work after my first degree completed.
I'm seeming to get mixed answers, when I called student finance 2 weeks ago they said I can apply as an independent student due to the fact I will be over 25 before the official academic start of my course. So why is it that i now have to meet the criteria for being self supported for 3 years.
I'm really confused by all the mixed information.

First day of the first academic year of the course will be 01/09/2020, not the first day of your course. Since this isn't the case for you this is why we would need your parents details or self support evidence for 3 years. If you don't have this for 3 years then we can't class you as independent.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
First day of the first academic year of the course will be 01/09/2020, not the first day of your course. Since this isn't the case for you this is why we would need your parents details or self support evidence for 3 years. If you don't have this for 3 years then we can't class you as independent.

Thanks,
Claire

Hello Claire,

I’m with you now, I get what you mean. It can be quite confusing at times, I appreciate all your help and time.
Thank You.

Joanne
Hello Claire,

I’m with you now, I get what you mean. It can be quite confusing at times, I appreciate all your help and time.
Thank You.

Joanne

You're welcome Joanne! Anything else we can help you with please let us know!

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending