Car insurance cancelled

Watch
ali97314
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I received a message saying 'We have issued a cancelled by email due to excessive mileage'

I personally thought that the milages were annual milage but it turns out they were monthly and it was 8,000miles a year / 12months = 666 miles per month. I went above the 'monthly allowed milage' - but there was nowhere that said it was monthly miles so I feel like I have been scammed.

They will be cancelling my insurance on 17th March but I rang them and said 'I want to cancel my insurance Friday the 13th at 8PM please' - they will be doing this now. I asked her 'would I have to tick the 'my insurance was cancelled box' and she said 'yes' but then I rang them again and a chap called 'Callum' said 'you don't need to tick the box as you've requested cancellation yourself but the woman was saying something else!!

I have now taken out another policy with another none telematic box insurer and have said 'I have cancelled this policy myself' and I don't want this cancellation ever flagging up in the future as technically I have cancelled it and one of their adviser confirmed that.

What do you guys think? I am in such a bad position right now and would appreciate any feedback big or small.
Last edited by ali97314; 2 weeks ago
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You thought you’d signed up to a policy with an 8000 mile a month allowance?
ali97314
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
You thought you’d signed up to a policy with an 8000 mile a month allowance?
Sorry, edited my post. It was 8000 miles a year. But they didn't state the miles were to be reset every month so in essence only '666 miles a month'
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ali97314)
Sorry, edited my post. It was 8000 miles a year. But they didn't state the miles were to be reset every month so in essence only '666 miles a month'
Oh I see, 8k miles per annum but also capped at 666 a month.

To be honest, it was in the policy somewhere, otherwise they’d be happy to keep taking your money.

As I understand it, you don’t have to declare it unless they ask about self cancelled policies.

Another reminder that telematics boxes are hot garbage.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ali97314)
Hi,

I received a message saying 'We have issued a cancelled by email due to excessive mileage'

I personally thought that the milages were annual milage but it turns out they were monthly and it was 8,000miles a year / 12months = 666 miles per month. I went above the 'monthly allowed milage' - but there was nowhere that said it was monthly miles so I feel like I have been scammed.

They will be cancelling my insurance on 17th March but I rang them and said 'I want to cancel my insurance Friday the 13th at 8PM please' - they will be doing this now. I asked her 'would I have to tick the 'my insurance was cancelled box' and she said 'yes' but then I rang them again and a chap called 'Callum' said 'you don't need to tick the box as you've requested cancellation yourself but the woman was saying something else!!

I have now taken out another policy with another none telematic box insurer and have said 'I have cancelled this policy myself' and I don't want this cancellation ever flagging up in the future as technically I have cancelled it and one of their adviser confirmed that.

What do you guys think? I am in such a bad position right now and would appreciate any feedback big or small.
It's a big grey area and a loophole I do not agree with, but it seems the general consensus is that if you cancel it before the date they said they would cancel it then it's not declarable.

Did you do any unusually long trips that would not be representative of a usual month? If not, then of course they're going to cancel it because extrapolating the data out would take you in excess of your annual limit.
ali97314
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's a big grey area and a loophole I do not agree with, but it seems the general consensus is that if you cancel it before the date they said they would cancel it then it's not declarable.

Did you do any unusually long trips that would not be representative of a usual month? If not, then of course they're going to cancel it because extrapolating the data out would take you in excess of your annual limit.
Well yes I did, but not in excess of my annual limit. I went to the Lake District from Leeds and back a couple of times which is under 8,000. But they said they base it on monthly miles no matter what.
Last edited by ali97314; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed