The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

How's Sunderland to live in for a brown girl?

How’s Sunderland to live in? I’m thinking of putting it as my second choice for pharmacy, and I liked it when I visited, but I’ve heard it’s racist and less friendly than other big cities when it comes to Muslims/Asians. I’m an Arab girl that wears the hijab, and I’m coming from a very un-diverse, racist town- I don’t want to deal with the same thing for the next four years. So how is Sunderland for someone like me? I don’t care about nightlife, but I just want to be safe and happy.
Reply 1
From what I've heard it's not bad, might want to speak to current students to be fair.
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Original post by fa_student
How’s Sunderland to live in? I’m thinking of putting it as my second choice for pharmacy, and I liked it when I visited, but I’ve heard it’s racist and less friendly than other big cities when it comes to Muslims/Asians. I’m an Arab girl that wears the hijab, and I’m coming from a very un-diverse, racist town- I don’t want to deal with the same thing for the next four years. So how is Sunderland for someone like me? I don’t care about nightlife, but I just want to be safe and happy.

Hi there!

I'd firstly like to reassure you that our student mix is extremely diverse, around a fifth of our students come from outside of the UK and each year we welcome new students from over 100 countries. Our home students also come from a variety of different cultures and backgrounds so you will in no way feel out of place. The University of Sunderland does not tolerate any form of hate crime on or off-campus, and we have strong links with ARCH, an organisation that supports the victims of racism, homophobia, transphobia, religious hate incidents or disability hate incidents in the rare event that they occur.

I'd encourage you to join our Facebook Freshers group so you can interact directly with current students and ask questions based on their own experiences. It would also be great to welcome you to campus at one of our Open Days so you can see for yourself what a welcoming and friendly campus we are.

Please do reach back out if you have any further questions regarding a place at Sunderland. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending