UCL MSc Psychological Sciences 2020 Entry

Watch
Ak8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I applied with a background in English. A few applicants seem to have a background in Sciences, however. Unfortunately, my application was unsuccessful. I was absolutely gutted as I'm UCL alumni. For some reason, I thought this would help (silly, I know) I had applied for FT study and asked for this to be changed to PT. I only received a reply weeks later after finding out my application was unsuccessful. I ended up applying to Brunel for the same course and was accepted. Good luck! I hope your application is successful.
lm271991
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ak8)
Hi, I applied with a background in English. A few applicants seem to have a background in Sciences, however. Unfortunately, my application was unsuccessful. I was absolutely gutted as I'm UCL alumni. For some reason, I thought this would help (silly, I know) I had applied for FT study and asked for this to be changed to PT. I only received a reply weeks later after finding out my application was unsuccessful. I ended up applying to Brunel for the same course and was accepted. Good luck! I hope your application is successful.
My background is English Lit from Cambridge and post grad social Work. I've got a clinical job in the NHS and have applied for PT study. Still waiting to hear back 😪 I'm sorry you've not received an offer from UCL but congrats on Brunel!
User9467
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by philosgirl123)
Is everyone applying from psychological backgrounds? I studied philosophy BA
I did philosophy too - well, PPE - but mostly philosophy - thought it was time to check out if empiricism has anything to offer
User9467
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by again)
I got an email from the department saying that they have recommended me for admission and I will receive a formal offer letter soon! Much faster than I expected. Has anyone else received an offer, and has anyone's portal been updated?
Yes. Such a shame about the timing though and not being able to have lectures right away. It does sound like UCL are trying a bit harder than other unis though to have things in place and give us a somewhat more normal experience.
dboon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User9467)
Yes. Such a shame about the timing though and not being able to have lectures right away. It does sound like UCL are trying a bit harder than other unis though to have things in place and give us a somewhat more normal experience.
How quickly did you receive your formal offer letter/have your portal updated after your email? I received an e-mail yesterday morning telling me I would be made an offer.
again
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dboon)
How quickly did you receive your formal offer letter/have your portal updated after your email? I received an e-mail yesterday morning telling me I would be made an offer.
My portal took just under a month to update
lm271991
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dboon)
Congratulations! When did you apply?
dboon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lm271991)
Congratulations! When did you apply?
Thanks! March. It's taken ages.

(Original post by again)
My portal took just under a month to update
Oh right blimey. My previous first choice was Bristol, who I have to respond to before June 3rd. I was hoping that I'd be able to have the i's dotted and t's crossed with UCL before I officially turned it down. But I guess things should be fine.
lm271991
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was unsuccessful and found out via portal updating today. Didn't even bother to send a direct email!
dboon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lm271991)
I was unsuccessful and found out via portal updating today. Didn't even bother to send a direct email!
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, commiserations. It's obviously been a difficult process this year but I haven't been particularly impressed by their communications to be honest...

Do you have a back-up option?
autumnal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats to everyone who's had an offer! Is anyone else still waiting to hear?
rr1117
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am still waiting to hear. I applied two weeks ago, so I do not anticipate a response soon!
siirie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by autumnal)
Congrats to everyone who's had an offer! Is anyone else still waiting to hear?
Hi, I'm still waiting to hear back. I applied in mid-March. When did you apply?

Also I can't track my application on Portico for some reason and neither the IT services or admissions have been able to help. I'm starting to get frustrated. Has anyone else had this issue?
rose104
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I only applied a week ago, and my references became complete 2 days ago... it says it'll take 6 weeks til I hear. I applied part-time. I emailed the course administrator who said even though the close date is moved to August they still might close it early as they are almost full (!)
autumnal
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by siirie)
Hi, I'm still waiting to hear back. I applied in mid-March. When did you apply?

Also I can't track my application on Portico for some reason and neither the IT services or admissions have been able to help. I'm starting to get frustrated. Has anyone else had this issue?
I applied in February and my application became complete in mid-March, so a similar timescale. Haven't had the same issue with Portico though - sounds really frustrating .
rose104
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I applied in February and my application became complete in mid-March, so a similar timescale. Haven't had the same issue with Portico though - sounds really frustrating .
That's a long time to wait. Does it just say 'under assessment' on Portico? On mine it says that. But it had said i should hear approximately 6 weeks after references become complete. Is that not what's really happening?
autumnal
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Studying96)
Hi, I was unsuccessful. I had a strong application and some prior experience. Applied on the 28th of May and received a very quick outcome this morning
Sorry to hear that was UCL your only option or have you applied for some others?

(Original post by rose104)
That's a long time to wait. Does it just say 'under assessment' on Portico? On mine it says that. But it had said i should hear approximately 6 weeks after references become complete. Is that not what's really happening?
Yes mine says 'under assessment' on the main page and the 6 week thing when you click 'view'. Wonder if it's just standard text?
rose104
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Studying96)
Hi, I was unsuccessful. I had a strong application and some prior experience. Applied on the 28th of May and received a very quick outcome this morning
I'm sorry to hear that are you going to try again next year, or do you have other places you were considering? I applied on the same date as you, and i saw the message on portico changed to 'being processed by admissions' today, so i imagine i hear very soon. If i am unsuccessful, I was looking at doing a short course like a postgrad cert and trying again next year perhaps. Kings College have a couple of online distanced learn post certs you can do.
rose104
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes mine says 'under assessment' on the main page and the 6 week thing when you click 'view'. Wonder if it's just standard text?
It looks like it is just standard text. Mine changed today to 'Being processed by admissions'. I had a google it sounds like that means they've decided and I'll hear soon... fingers crossed!
Studying96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rose104)
I'm sorry to hear that are you going to try again next year, or do you have other places you were considering? I applied on the same date as you, and i saw the message on portico changed to 'being processed by admissions' today, so i imagine i hear very soon. If i am unsuccessful, I was looking at doing a short course like a postgrad cert and trying again next year perhaps. Kings College have a couple of online distanced learn post certs you can do.
No I'm not going to reapply. Thank you for the advice. Once the application progresses to "being processed by admissions" I think you will have a result the following day. Looking at second options and I am sure it will all work out. Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads