I have a PhD History, MA in Medical Law, LLB in Law. My career prospects?

Watch
JuliusCaesar89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am a PhD in History with a MA in Medical Law and LLB in Law (I will submit my PhD thesis in August). Though I have multiple degrees, I am very worried about my job prospects after PhD. Work experience is not really on my side as I have never had a full time paid job- I do have short term research and teaching positions.

Lecturing jobs and postdocs in History are so rare, so a career in academia just seems like an impossibility for now.

I am interested in teaching in secondary schools, but I don't want to do a year of PGCE (high tuition and low bursary) or the Researchers in School programme (also high tuition and a low bursary of £9000 for history teachers). Ideally, I will like to start earning at least £27000 from August 2020 when I submit my PhD

I have just discovered the Civil Service Fast Stream, but I found out that I missed the deadline for 2020 start (it was last year October)

Museum and Archive opportunities are rare to non-existent

Not really interested in practicing law, as I have to pay for the LPC and then hope for a training contract (long and complicated process)

Can someone please offer advice on other career routes?

Btw, I am a BAME, so interested in diversity and inclusion. All my degrees have been from London universities
lasanwil
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JuliusCaesar89)
I am a PhD in History with a MA in Medical Law and LLB in Law (I will submit my PhD thesis in August). Though I have multiple degrees, I am very worried about my job prospects after PhD. Work experience is not really on my side as I have never had a full time paid job- I do have short term research and teaching positions.

Lecturing jobs and postdocs in History are so rare, so a career in academia just seems like an impossibility for now.

I am interested in teaching in secondary schools, but I don't want to do a year of PGCE (high tuition and low bursary) or the Researchers in School programme (also high tuition and a low bursary of £9000 for history teachers). Ideally, I will like to start earning at least £27000 from August 2020 when I submit my PhD

I have just discovered the Civil Service Fast Stream, but I found out that I missed the deadline for 2020 start (it was last year October)

Not really interested in practicing law, as I have to pay for the LPC and then hope for a training contract (long and complicated process)

Btw, I am a BAME, so interested in diversity and inclusion. All my degrees have been from London universities
Hi there! Sorry this is a bit off topic, but did you do your MA at King’s? I actually plan to do a very similar route (PhD in Law or Ethics though) specifically to go into academia and/or practice.

Have you considered applying for visiting lecturer/researcher positions abroad as a stepping stone towards a more permanent option?
JuliusCaesar89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lasanwil)
Hi there! Sorry this is a bit off topic, but did you do your MA at King’s? I actually plan to do a very similar route (PhD in Law or Ethics though) specifically to go into academia and/or practice.

Have you considered applying for visiting lecturer/researcher positions abroad as a stepping stone towards a more permanent option?

Yes I did the Medical Ethics and Law at King's. It's an interesting degree, but it has not been useful to me, as I chose to do a PhD in History
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I don't mean this in a harsh way but you are rather overqualified and as such feel that you cannot pay for LPC or do teaching - money etc. I would not eliminate teaching - a BAME would always be welcome and there are many opportunities to succeed - take the hit now and reap the benefits later.

How about the NHS - plenty of jobs there and again chances for promotion

You have backed yourself into a corner. I have seen it before where people feel they cannot take a more lowly job because of their qualifications

You could always apply to civil service next October. I would take a job as a paralegal for the moment just to tide you over. There are always areas in law that would appeal to you.

ACAS - looking for people.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Out of interest, how did you do an MA in law without an undergrad in it? I've not heard of someone picking up a Masters in a subject they've not studied before

What does this mean? It sounds like you're wearing it as a bit of a badge. I'm interested in 'diversity and inclusion' too (though I wouldn't use those words), but I"m not BAME: I'm White British. I just don't really understand why you've felt the need to elide the fact of being interested in diversity with your ethnicity.
lasanwil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree with squeakysquirrel. There are various paying jobs that you are qualified for, albeit not necessarily in your specific field of interest, that will hold you over until there is an opening for teaching/postdoc etc.

It has taken me quite a few years to reach my current professional level and I have yet to achieve my ultimate goal of teaching and practising as a barrister. Being in both a competitive city and a competitive field means having to investing more time and often taking the opportunities you have in this moment in order to succeed in the long run.

I wish you the best of luck with your search and congrats on your academic accomplishments!
Last edited by lasanwil; 3 weeks ago
mark68
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I think you've got a lot of education, probably top 1%, If you look at the framework for higher education you also have a lot of transferable skills and abilities but I think you put your finger on it that there simply aren't the opportunities that such expense in time and money deserve. Who was it who said an investment in education pays the best return? People should be knocking at your door and offering you respect but unfortunately at this time in history no one is remotely interested despite the fact that about 25% of the population having no qualifications at all but still manage to maintain a reasonable lifestyle, what about you is correct.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads