How do i apply for Student Finance and Maintenance Loan

Watch
YUSLP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys, So i filled out my UCAS app. Got an unconditional offer. Firmed it. Booked and paid for my accommodation deposit.

But i just realized that i have no clue how Tuition fees are paid to the uni. OR how i will receive a maintenance loan?

Do i need to do anything EXTRA to get those? Or ?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Hi guys, So i filled out my UCAS app. Got an unconditional offer. Firmed it. Booked and paid for my accommodation deposit.

But i just realized that i have no clue how Tuition fees are paid to the uni. OR how i will receive a maintenance loan?

Hi

When you apply to SFE, you will apply for your Tuition Loan and your Maintenance Loan. The Tuition Loan is used to pay your course fees, and usually goes straight to the university. Your Maintenance Loan is usually paid into your bank account, for you to use to pay for things like rent and food.

Your Maintenance Loan is calculated using your household income, so whoever is the main provider for your household (e.g. you parents or guardians) will be prompted to give proof of their earnings.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just let me know!

Melissa :hello:
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)

Hi there,

have you completed your Student Finance application? When does your course start? Is the course full time or part time? Do you hold any qualifications currently?

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claire SFE)
Hi there,

have you completed your Student Finance application? When does your course start? Is the course full time or part time? Do you hold any qualifications currently?

Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire, Basically after i made this post. I went ahead and made an account on the sfe website. Inputted all the information in too. Apparently it will take 6 weeks before im told how much Maintenance loan i will get. Which is fine Buuuut i do have several questions:

1. I applied for the max Maintenance loan option. How will SFE go about figuring out how much i can get?

The reason i ask is because i finished my a-levels back in 2017. So i worked for a year in 2018 and then i was a jobcentre for a while and then working temporarily over xmas. And now im back at the JC. HOWEVER because i was working and also at the jobcentre throughout those 3 years i dont have any consistent proof off to send SFE. I mean my first job was via an agency and after i quit, they obviously terminated my payroll information as i no longer work there. So i cant provide payslips. Furthermore, i have been on/off the jobcentre. So i DONT have a consistent 3 year period of proof of that either. I signed back onto the doll in January 2020, So i DO have proof for these past 3 months via my jobcentre account. But i mean what im trying to ultimately state is that i dont have proof of 3 years worth of work.

I know for a fact when sfe reaches out to my mom, i will probably get the max Maintenance loan since mom earns wayyyy less than the household income. But does the proof thing matter? On my SFE account its not demanding for obligatory proof. But rather its just there as an additonal option. Perhaps im worrying over naught.

2. Should i apply for scholarship deadlines which close at the end of the month if my SFE obviously hasnt been confirmed yet?

"Help me Claire, your my only hope"
Last edited by YUSLP; 8 months ago
Claire SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Hi Claire, Basically after i made this post. I went ahead and made an account on the sfe website. Inputted all the information in too. Apparently it will take 6 weeks before im told how much Maintenance loan i will get. Which is fine Buuuut i do have several questions:

1. I applied for the max Maintenance loan option. How will SFE go about figuring out how much i can get?

The reason i ask is because i finished my a-levels back in 2017. So i worked for a year in 2018 and then i was a jobcentre for a while and then working temporarily over xmas. And now im back at the JC. HOWEVER because i was working and also at the jobcentre throughout those 3 years i dont have any consistent proof off to send SFE. I mean my first job was via an agency and after i quit, they obviously terminated my payroll information as i no longer work there. So i cant provide payslips. Furthermore, i have been on/off the jobcentre. So i DONT have a consistent 3 year period of proof of that either. I signed back onto the doll in January 2020, So i DO have proof for these past 3 months via my jobcentre account. But i mean what im trying to ultimately state is that i dont have proof of 3 years worth of work.

I know for a fact when sfe reaches out to my mom, i will probably get the max Maintenance loan since mom earns wayyyy less than the household income. But does the proof thing matter? On my SFE account its not demanding for obligatory proof. But rather its just there as an additonal option. Perhaps im worrying over naught.

2. Should i apply for scholarship deadlines which close at the end of the month if my SFE obviously hasnt been confirmed yet?

"Help me Claire, your my only hope"
If you don't have 3 years of self support evidence, then you can't apply for independent status and we will need your sponsors income to means test the finance. You can use the online calculator using your mum's income details for a rough idea on finance we can offer here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator.

Scholarships are handled by the universities so we advise you to speak to them regarding this.

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?
If you don't have 3 years of self support evidence, then you can't apply for independent status and we will need your sponsors income to means test the finance. You can use the online calculator using your mum's income details for a rough idea on finance we can offer here
Scholarships are handled by the universities so we advise you to speak to them regarding this.

Thanks,
Claire
Define indpendent status?
Who is my sponser?

And do i need to do anything more on my end?

Edit: took the test

Student finance
You could get per year:

£9,250 Tuition Fee Loan to pay for your course

£9,203 Maintenance Loan to pay living costs

Houseincome is like less than 10K so i should be elgible for max M loan
Last edited by YUSLP; 8 months ago
Claire SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Define indpendent status?
Who is my sponser?

And do i need to do anything more on my end?

Edit: took the test

Student finance
You could get per year:

£9,250 Tuition Fee Loan to pay for your course

£9,203 Maintenance Loan to pay living costs

Houseincome is like less than 10K so i should be elgible for max M loan
Independent means you have supported yourself financially for 3 years before the start of your course if you're under 25. If you're under 25 and not married then your sponsor will be your parents. They would confirm their household income to support your application and we would work out what you're entitled to.

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?
Independent means you have supported yourself financially for 3 years before the start of your course if you're under 25. If you're under 25 and not married then your sponsor will be your parents. They would confirm their household income to support your application and we would work out what you're entitled to.

Thanks,
Claire
So bascially application wise im done now right?

Just have to await the SFEs judgment on what my entitlments are and go from there. Will sfe inform me they are going to contact my parents or will that just happen automatically as part of the process?

Main thing is that i seem to be done on my end.
Claire SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
So bascially application wise im done now right?

Just have to await the SFEs judgment on what my entitlments are and go from there. Will sfe inform me they are going to contact my parents or will that just happen automatically as part of the process?

Main thing is that i seem to be done on my end.
If you have selected on your application to be means tested and put your parents email addresses then we will email them to ask for their income details. Once we have this we can then means tested your application for the higher finance.

If we need anything else from you we will contact you.

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?
If you have selected on your application to be means tested and put your parents email addresses then we will email them to ask for their income details. Once we have this we can then means tested your application for the higher finance.

If we need anything else from you we will contact you.

Thanks,
Claire
.....there was no option to include parents emails.....

It was all just about me.
Claire SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
.....there was no option to include parents emails.....

It was all just about me.
If you send us a message on facebook or twitter with your details, we can check if you have requested the application to be means tested on the household income.

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?
If you send us a message on facebook or twitter with your details, we can check if you have requested the application to be means tested on the household income.

Thanks,
Claire
Done

Thanks
Claire SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Done

Thanks
You're welcome! Anything else we can help you with please let us know!

Thanks,
Claire
YUSLP
Rep:
?

Thanks,
Claire
Nothing more. Just take care of yourself Claire🖐🏽
YUSLP
Rep:
?

Thanks,
Claire
Hi, so i sent out my app last week. I also may have accidentally listed to be tested on my own income rather than household. So on monday i sent out the PFF2 with household income. But yesterday i recieved a letter from sfe asking you evidence of my wages etc...

Anyways what im asking is that WILL sfe notify me when they have recieved the PFF2 automatically? Do i need to chase them up?

Also can i just ignore the email if i sent out my pff2? As i wish to be tested on that as they provided for me for 3years
Jen SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Hi, so i sent out my app last week. I also may have accidentally listed to be tested on my own income rather than household. So on monday i sent out the PFF2 with household income. But yesterday i recieved a letter from sfe asking you evidence of my wages etc...

Anyways what im asking is that WILL sfe notify me when they have recieved the PFF2 automatically? Do i need to chase them up?

Also can i just ignore the email if i sent out my pff2? As i wish to be tested on that as they provided for me for 3years
Hi there,

Sometimes we will notify you, but not always. You can send us a DM on Twitter with your name and customer reference number so we can check we have received this.

Thanks, Jen
YUSLP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jen SFE)
Hi there,

Sometimes we will notify you, but not always. You can send us a DM on Twitter with your name and customer reference number so we can check we have received this.

Thanks, Jen
Dont have twitter,sc or IG.
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YUSLP)
Dont have twitter,sc or IG.
Hi there,

Do you have Facebook? If so, you can send us a DM here.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads