The Student Room Group

Are my A level options ok?

hello, so i have about 24 hours left to pick my a levels and i think im doing
english lit, history, sociology and religious studies
is that a good combinaton? i am really bad at maths and sciences but am good at writing essays but these are all essay based subjects. the only gcse i have done so far is religious studies where i got an a* at, as it was a one year course and im sitting the rest in may. i think im doing both sociology and religious studies but if i had to drop one which should i drop and which should i keep? im interested in sociology because i find it interesting to study society and cultures, humans etc but i also find rs interesting as its mostly philosophy and ethics as opposed to just religion
im worried that maybe this isnt a good combination so i would like to hear some imput. thank you :smile:)
(edited 4 years ago)
I would drop Religious Studies if you had to drop one.
That's a god combination for some who likes essays- history and english lit are very highly thought of. The workload of four eassay subjects is pretty high though! With regards to dropping one just see which you enjoy least, however, if you are looking to apply to a competitive uni I would either drop sociology/religious studies (not that there's anything wrong with them at all, I love religious studies).
Reply 3
I would drop Sociology
Original post by irish potatoes
hello, so i have about 24 hours left to pick my a levels and i think im doing
english lit, history, sociology and religious studies
is that a good combinaton? i am really bad at maths and sciences but am good at writing essays but these are all essay based subjects. the only gcse i have done so far is religious studies where i got an a* at, as it was a one year course and im sitting the rest in may. i think im doing both sociology and religious studies but if i had to drop one which should i drop and which should i keep? im interested in sociology because i find it interesting to study society and cultures, humans etc but i also find rs interesting as its mostly philosophy and ethics as opposed to just religion
im worried that maybe this isnt a good combination so i would like to hear some imput. thank you :smile:)

universities will not care AT ALL whether you choose RE or Sociology so i think you should go with your favourite. I believe Sociology will be easier to get a higher grade in but dont quote me on that.
Reply 5
I am doing similar subjects although history is the one I'd personally drop.
Reply 6
Original post by eifos
I am doing similar subjects although history is the one I'd personally drop.

The only reason I'd tell someone to drop history is because it's very laborious and difficult. But then again, so is every A-Level. Everyone finds A-Levels stressful. So you might as well work hard at a hard A-Level to improve your uni application than put in the same effort for a less respectable A-Level.
depends on what you want to do at uni but that looks like a solid combo of subjects
Would drop sociology

Quick Reply

Latest