Can somebody explain the role of Carbohydrates in the membrane to me ?

Watch
VeryNewMedic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My book says that the importance of carbohydrates in membranes is
a) Mediating the interactions of a cell with its environment.
b) Sorting membrane proteins to different cellular compartments.

I don't understand how it does the latter
RainThorn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by VeryNewMedic)

May I ask what level of study you are at (GCSE or equiv, A level or equiv etc) just so I dont give you too much information?
VeryNewMedic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RainThorn)
May I ask what level of study you are at (GCSE or equiv, A level or equiv etc) just so I dont give you too much information?
I am a 1st year med student and this is from my cytology class.
RainThorn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am a 1st year med student and this is from my cytology class.
Ahhh gotcha, Im first year biomed so ill help the best I can but from the top of my head it is based on glycoproteins and glycolipids allowing adhesion relative to the fluid mosaic model. This allows compartmentation as well as fluidity.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi,

Let me try to guide you. I think your book is referring to some particular aspects of the function of carbohydrates in the cell membrane, because most channels and specific exchange sites for substances are proteins, and the lipds/cholesterol in the membrane selectively permit movement of lipophilic substances. The only carbohydrates I can think of are some of the glycoproteins [of course, protein moieties attached to a carbohydrate portion in the Golgi], such as the ABC [ATP binding cassette proteins] including the glycoproteins called multidrug transporters, which play a part in the movement of drugs and some cations across cell compartments, particularly in the liver and the kidney.{the ones found in the desmosomes e.g. cadherins and Ig-CAMs (cell adhesion molecules) are more to do with cell adhesion - The cadherins are calcium dependent, whereas the Ig-CAMs are calcium independent.}.

The other point that comes to mind is the CFTR protein, an abnormality of which, genetically transmitted as an autosomal recessive trait, is cystic fibrosis, in which there is a defect in the movement of Cl- anion across membranes in the lungs, pancreas and in the testes, leading to severe respiratory infections [due to production of thick mucus], failure of protein digestion [lack of trypsin and chymotrypsin] and infertility, respectively.

{Other carbohydrate-containing molecules are the proteoglycans like GAGs [glycosaminoglycans] e.g. proteoglycan chondroitin sulphate and proteoglycan dermatan sulphate, which can determine the nature of substances passing through the membrane, particularly in connective tissue - this might be relevant to the function of osteoblast-type cells in bone}.

I hope this helps!
M.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
@VeryNewMedic

Hi there! Firstly I hope you and your family/friends are all ok in this turn of tables on our planet (COVID-19), and my best wishes extend to all members, staff, helpers at TSR and to humankind.

Other readers of this message pls forgive me for an apparently irrelevant post but this is cos of the limitations in the message systemName:  IMG_20200322_190439.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  108.0 KB on TSR.

V.N. Medic, here are the pics I promised.

Name:  IMG_20200322_190256.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  122.5 KB
More to follow plus some equations.
Have a nerdy evening - soooorry!
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
VeryNewMedic

Chk above
lyer_in_hellfyre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
@VeryNewMedic

Hi there! Firstly I hope you and your family/friends are all ok in this turn of tables on our planet (COVID-19), and my best wishes extend to all members, staff, helpers at TSR and to humankind.

Other readers of this message pls forgive me for an apparently irrelevant post but this is cos of the limitations in the message systemName:  IMG_20200322_190439.jpg

They're very relevant and helpful if you'd ask me :ta:
VeryNewMedic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
@VeryNewMedic

I had a nerdy evening.
Thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.24%
No (557)
65.76%

Watched Threads