Utd4life0101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do we need to know about the "two-hit hypothesis" about the tumor-suppressor genes for the new specification or is this beyond the specification? It is labelled as extension material in the AQA book, however, my teacher says you need to know it because the specification states "the role of tumour-suppressor genes and oncogenes in the development of tumours".
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Utd4life0101)
Do we need to know about the "two-hit hypothesis" about the tumor-suppressor genes for the new specification or is this beyond the specification? It is labelled as extension material in the AQA book, however, my teacher says you need to know it because the specification states "the role of tumour-suppressor genes and oncogenes in the development of tumours".
I would definitely learn this. It isn't complicated, and as your teacher says, this topic is in the specification, rather than purely extension work. If you want to ensure you cover everything to maximise your chances, then so some reading. You obviously need to make sure you fully understand the basic stuff about the cell cycle and how the cell is moved through it under normal circumstances. As well as looking at p53, BCL2 etc, have a look at apoptosis and its importance.
Utd4life0101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I would definitely learn this. It isn't complicated, and as your teacher says, this topic is in the specification, rather than purely extension work. If you want to ensure you cover everything to maximise your chances, then so some reading. You obviously need to make sure you fully understand the basic stuff about the cell cycle and how the cell is moved through it under normal circumstances. As well as looking at p53, BCL2 etc, have a look at apoptosis and its importance.
Okay will do! Thanks for your speedy response
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
15.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
18.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.78%

Watched Threads