The Student Room Group

Is it worth continuing with A Level Chemistry?

I am currently in my first year and doing 4 A Levels; Maths, Further maths, Physics, and Chemistry, and I am starting to find the work load is a bit overwhelming. I don't really enjoy chemistry, but took it because I got a 9 and I heard there was overlap with physics. I have not really seen where that overlap is and I am getting a lot more work with a lot less time. In the future I would like to do physics or maths, and I can't really see the point in doing it anymore, but I don't want to drop it and regret it later on. I would also like to know how university's look at 4 A Levels and if doing chemistry would make a difference there. If anyone has any information that would be great, thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Chemistry is important and useful to have if you’re considering physics degrees, albeit non essential. Are you doing AS exams or year 12 mocks? I would continue until then at least, if not the end of year 12. A levels are tough for a reason and about this time in year 12 the workload does start to increase.
Drop it if you don't like it.
Just make sure to check which uni/course you will be applying for doesn't require chemistry.

I am sure there is no overlap between the 2 subjects.
Also how will you do 3 maths?
Original post by GenralKenobi
I am currently in my first year and doing 4 A Levels; Maths, Further maths, Physics, and Chemistry, and I am starting to find the work load is a bit overwhelming. I don't really enjoy chemistry, but took it because I got a 9 and I heard there was overlap with physics. I have not really seen where that overlap is and I am getting a lot more work with a lot less time. In the future I would like to do physics or maths, and I can't really see the point in doing it anymore, but I don't want to drop it and regret it later on. I would also like to know how university's look at 4 A Levels and if doing chemistry would make a difference there. If anyone has any information that would be great, thanks.

Do you recommend any resources to study chemistry with seeing as you got a 9?:smile:
chemistry is hard work I'll tell you that, the amount of work I put in chem was more than bio and maths combined. It only gets harder in year 13 but I enjoyed it the most too.
Original post by Grandmaster24601
chemistry is hard work I'll tell you that, the amount of work I put in chem was more than bio and maths combined. It only gets harder in year 13 but I enjoyed it the most too.

Same, i just had physics instead of math
Original post by Deggs_14
Chemistry is important and useful to have if you’re considering physics degrees, albeit non essential. Are you doing AS exams or year 12 mocks? I would continue until then at least, if not the end of year 12. A levels are tough for a reason and about this time in year 12 the workload does start to increase.

Mocks aren't for another few months, but can you please explain how chemistry can be important for physics degrees?
Original post by Hammad Dogar
Also how will you do 3 maths?

What do you mean how?
Original post by hanna778
Do you recommend any resources to study chemistry with seeing as you got a 9?:smile:

I did practise papers and questions, from my textbook but its what ever works for you.
Original post by Grandmaster24601

That's one of my worries, as I did chemistry just as an extra and would rather focus on my other subjects
What do you mean how?

i mean i just had physics.( my board physics is mostly math)
and i hated it.
Original post by Hammad Dogar
i mean i just had physics.( my board physics is mostly math)
and i hated it.

I enjoy the maths the most about physics, and further maths is definitively my favourite subject, so doing 3 maths subjects is ideal for me personally.

It depends on where you wish to apply. If you want to do engineering at Cambridge, they say that they prefer students who don't only take math, further maths, and physics. This is because there is quite a bit of overlapping between the three subjects. Perhaps Oxford has the same view, but you'll have to research on that a little. For a Physics or Maths course though, I don't think it would matter as much. But before dropping, check their website. Also, if you are an international student and wish to apply to the U.S. down the line, it would help to keep it then too. There are a few other factors that you need to consider. If your school requires you to take AS exams and you feel that you would better perform on the remaining 3, then perhaps dropping chem is not so bad. As your AS exam results will be included on UCAS and/or transcript, it would perhaps be better to do well on 3 than do modestly on 4. I feel that it is good to research your options and plans more throughly and make an informed decision so that you don't regret it later.

Many students do these 4 A-levels very successfully. The workload is definitely not overwhelming, it's simply a matter of prioritising things properly.

Quick Reply