Our experts must be so much better that the experts in other countries!

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
So far 10 people have died. Compared to 600 this winter from flu.
You do realise this has a mortality rate ten times higher than the flu?
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
That is actually the government's strategy they are allowing it to spread throughout the country to establish herd immunity.
Its mad. It literally puts the people we care about at risk
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
You do realise this has a mortality rate ten times higher than the flu?
That’s not proven yet as far as I’m aware
Do you have a source I can read?
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=96b04adf_2
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks
A little out of date by now, although to be fair if it was this morning it would be.
We can make predictions but we’ll only know for sure when it’s over
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
> "We cannot avoid it so lets not take precautions"
> Nobody is taking precautions so we cannot avoid it

It's a lie to say it is unavoidable. China has managed to contain it. South Korea has managed to drastically slow it down (buying time for mass vaccination). Why should we just "take it on the nose" (as Boris Johnson said) and roll the dice on permanently ****ing up our lungs and organs (and whatever else this largely unknown disease does)?
Your role models are china and South Korea?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
I think we’ve finally found a topic on which we are both completely in agreement! 😜
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think we’ve finally found a topic on which we are both completely in agreement! 😜
Have we clashed in the past ? I am old and forgetful but I admire your spirit What job do you do
young.one
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
boris the fool said it earlier in his live statement, based on 'scientific proof' he asked that people please stop comparing it to the flu. so have experts in the field saying that even young people's lungs may be damaged permanently and it is nothing like the flu.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have we clashed in the past ? I am old and forgetful but I admire your spirit What job do you do
We have disagreed many times squeaky!
I too am a band seven
I’ve retired now through ill health but I last ran the acute admissions
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We have disagreed many times squeaky!
I too am a band seven
I’ve retired now through ill health but I last ran the acute admissions
Ah well -they will be calling you back soon. How old are you as a matter of interest
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
Is English not your first language? I said China has proven it is possible to contain the virus, proving that it is not inevitable that we will all get infected, and that we can take action to prevent it.

Why, do you think we should just do the opposite of whatever China and South Korea do? (You do realise South Korea is the democratic one, don't you?)
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah well -they will be calling you back soon. How old are you as a matter of interest
I’m 50. And I reckon I’ll be back soon!!!
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Is English not your first language? I said China has proven it is possible to contain the virus, proving that it is not inevitable that we will all get infected, and that we can take action to prevent it.

Why, do you think we should just do the opposite of whatever China and South Korea do? (You do realise South Korea is the democratic one, don't you?)
Of course English is my first language. China is a communist state - they told people to have only one child ... so they did. Imagine that happening here. Do you work in the healthcare industry - I think I asked that before and you have declined to answer that. I work for the NHS - we are at the forefront of the information. We will get through this . It is not bubonic plague, it is not HIV/AIDs - it is a bit of flu that for some reason everyone is scared of...
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m 50. And I reckon I’ll be back soon!!!
Yep we need to step up. I might get deployed to the wards..... crikey
mathsmich
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
About the gov plan: are there any other countries that seem to follow/ are going to implement a similar action plan?

As far as I know only UK has been (maybe US earlier) so reluctant to take draconian (my new fave word btw) steps in the light of current situation in italy/spain and asian countries
adry_hos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course English is my first language. China is a communist state - they told people to have only one child ... so they did. Imagine that happening here. Do you work in the healthcare industry - I think I asked that before and you have declined to answer that. I work for the NHS - we are at the forefront of the information. We will get through this . It is not bubonic plague, it is not HIV/AIDs - it is a bit of flu that for some reason everyone is scared of...
But it really isn't just "a bit of flu" is it? It's more contagious and deadlier. I really hope you guys will be able to keep up with whats most likely coming. Looking back at when it started to spread in Italy, they had the same "a bit of flu" attitude, however now's a different story. The internet is full of Italian health care professionals warning people and governments to take this virus seriously . Be safe.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by adry_hos)
But it really isn't just "a bit of flu" is it? It's more contagious and deadlier. I really hope you guys will be able to keep up with whats most likely coming. Looking back at when it started to spread in Italy, they had the same "a bit of flu" attitude, however now's a different story. The internet is full of Italian health care professionals warning people and governments to take this virus seriously . Be safe.
It is a 2% mortality rate - amongst the elderly and those with co morbidities. Everyone is jumping on the band wagon of death doom and gloom.

When we get mass amount of children dying ... then we need to be concerned but at the moment it seems to be bypassing kids and just going for the elderly
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
So many other places closing their services, but they must be doing so based on rubbish advice!

Seriously, why don't the other countries follow the brilliant advice that the UK must be getting?! Let's just allow everyone to become infected!
Because they have different case levels?

We have a tenth of the cases Italy had before it introduced widespread serious measures.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mathsmich)
About the gov plan: are there any other countries that seem to follow/ are going to implement a similar action plan?

As far as I know only UK has been (maybe US earlier) so reluctant to take draconian (my new fave word btw) steps in the light of current situation in italy/spain and asian countries
France? Germany? Spain?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads