Our experts must be so much better that the experts in other countries!

Watch
settler77
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
how many people die from flu? do you know? the coronavirus is just huge propaganda fueled by people's fear
young.one
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by settler77)
how many people die from flu? do you know? the coronavirus is just huge propaganda fueled by people's fear
Of course people are fearful, it is 10x deadlier than the flu, research is being done as to how it may affect the nervous system and the long lasting effects of it also it has spread to a worldwide pandemic in a short time with up to 10,000 people unknowingly infected in the UK which kills people who have a weaker immune system. Stating those facts doesn't make anyone dramatic just realistic.
WIGBLOWN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Why don't you provide some proof that these will help then? I'm more inclined to trust the health professionals are who say; this does little more than alleviate peoples fears than actually stop the spread of anything, than, well a random person on the internet such as your goodself.
Why do you think GPs wear nitrile gloves + masks?
Gloves=people who cant be bothered to wash their hands properly when they return home have cleaner hands
Masks=prevent droplet infection, the biggest means of transmission
Why is the government advertising ‘against’ it? Well the WHO reports the global demand for these equipment is 60 fold the current production rate, and the stock must all prioritise healthcare professionals to save them from dying first instead of the public hoarding it if government advertised the real effectiveness. EVERYONE in China, japan, South Korea wears masks and that’s that.. plus have you seen any scientific report proving masks ineffective against virus? I’m not claiming masks helps 100% but certainly reduce risk of infecting, especially if EVERYONE wears it, simply comparing the atomic size of virus and masks should not be an indication of masks effectiveness
Last edited by WIGBLOWN; 2 weeks ago
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
It is a 2% mortality rate - amongst the elderly and those with co morbidities.
Where did you get that from?
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Let me ask you something Penguin, since you seem to have taken a hiatus from being a China 'expert', what makes you an 'expert' on epidemiology?
I'm neither.

But these people are: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ients-may-have
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
I'm neither.

But these people are: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ients-may-have
You're right, you are neither. But neither are people from that most dubious of 'news' outlets. I would sooner trust Sputnik then SCMP.
coronavirus1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Guys ignore those 2 boomers who don't take coronavirus seriously. Personally I think they should be banned.
AngeryPenguin
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
You're right, you are neither. But neither are people from that most dubious of 'news' outlets. I would sooner trust Sputnik then SCMP.
The journalists are not the ones who conducted the study you utter tool.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
So many other places closing their services, but they must be doing so based on rubbish advice!

Seriously, why don't the other countries follow the brilliant advice that the UK must be getting?! Let's just allow everyone to become infected!
isn't it obvious? our government wants old/weak people to die. isn't not exactly a secret.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by WIGBLOWN)
Why do you think GPs wear nitrile gloves + masks?
Gloves=people who cant be bothered to wash their hands properly when they return home have cleaner hands
Masks=prevent droplet infection, the biggest means of transmission
Why is the government advertising ‘against’ it? Well the WHO reports the global demand for these equipment is 60 fold the current production rate, and the stock must all prioritise healthcare professionals to save them from dying first instead of the public hoarding it if government advertised the real effectiveness. EVERYONE in China, japan, South Korea wears masks and that’s that.. plus have you seen any scientific report proving masks ineffective against virus? I’m not claiming masks helps 100% but certainly reduce risk of infecting, especially if EVERYONE wears it, simply comparing the atomic size of virus and masks should not be an indication of masks effectiveness
That is the most infantile argument i have yet heard for them.
The simple fact of the matter is wearing gloves and masks, for the public, will make no difference. Whether people say the demand for these has increased is utterly immaterial.
AngeryPenguin
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the beer)
Where did you get that from?
They didn't, it is a lie, or at least outdated information that is badly worded.

The mortality rate is estimated at around 3.4% by the WHO. It is higher among the elderly.

It is far higher than 2% for the at-risk population. It is around 0.2% for young people.

Though mortality is only 1 aspect of it - long term lung and other organ damage is detected in recovered patients.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
It is a 2% mortality rate - amongst the elderly and those with co morbidities. Everyone is jumping on the band wagon of death doom and gloom.

When we get mass amount of children dying ... then we need to be concerned but at the moment it seems to be bypassing kids and just going for the elderly

you've been misinformed.

I am seeing the following stats quoted everywhere.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

There is much more than a 2% chance of death if you are quite elderly, and if you have any underlying health problems like the ones listed in the link your chances increase as well.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
They didn't, it is a lie, or at least outdated information that is badly worded.
That's what i thought.

They should probably stop claiming to be an expert and spreading misinformation.
coronavirus1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
That is the most infantile argument i have yet heard for them.
The simple fact of the matter is wearing gloves and masks, for the public, will make no difference. Whether people say the demand for these has increased is utterly immaterial.
What is wrong with you @Napp
So going out in public without wearing a mask is just as effective as wearing a surgical mask?
Actually keep thinking that because that means more masks for me.
lost.soul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
isn't it obvious? our government wants old/weak people to die. isn't not exactly a secret.
100% the message is if you have asthma, health problems or are elderly ‘take it on the nose old chap‘ with Boris calmly telling people to be prepared to lose their loved ones.

Other governments do care for their people considerately more than this privileged Tory circus.
coronavirus1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lost.soul)
100% the message is if you have asthma, health problems or are elderly ‘take it on the nose old chap‘ with Boris calmly telling people to be prepared to lose their loved ones.

Other governments do care for their people considerately more than this privileged Tory circus.
1000% this.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by coronavirus1)
What is wrong with you @Napp
So going out in public without wearing a mask is just as effective as wearing a surgical mask?
Actually keep thinking that because that means more masks for me.
It is a fact that masks are at best, ineffective. As the NHS have said, as nauseum.
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by settler77)
It’s only just the START of the coronavirus though. I do agree that the media is 100% causing panic
coronavirus1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Having to deal with tools such as yourself.
It is a fact that masks are at best, ineffective. As the NHS have said, as nauseum.
David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who studied the 2002 to 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) extensively, says it’s “common sense” that wearing a mask would protect against infectious diseases like COVID-19

“If you are standing in front of someone who is sick, the mask will give some protection,” Hui says. “The mask provides a barrier from respiratory droplets, which is predominantly how the virus spreads.”

He also says that the role of a face mask may be especially important in the epidemic due to the nature of the virus. Patients with COVID-19 often have mild or even no symptoms, and some researchers believe it can also be transmitted when patients are asymptomatic—meaning patients can be contagious and don’t know they’re sick.

Hui adds that the lack of solid evidence supporting the effectiveness of masks against the virus is no reason to dismiss its use, because there may never be definitive scientific proof. A properly controlled study would be impossible to conduct ethically, he explains. “You can’t randomize people to not wear a mask, and some to wear a mask, and then expose them all to the virus,” he says.

Anyways, don't wear face masks its ineffective as Napp says (Oh no but the NHS said its ineffective !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao)
Last edited by coronavirus1; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Taiwan and South Korea are both using early warning text / app messaging to people to warn them when people in their localities have the virus. Although this policy has downsides, it is working well in behaviour modification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads