The Student Room Group

Stopping at junction

When I have stopped in a junction and I have the car in 1st gear can I come off the break if I have the clutch fully down? Or do keep on foot on the break until we start moving again?
Reply 1
It won't break the car if that's what you're asking, but I wouldn't advise doing that on a hill unless you use the handbrake instead.
Reply 2
Original post by Tdm_95
When I have stopped in a junction and I have the car in 1st gear can I come off the break if I have the clutch fully down? Or do keep on foot on the break until we start moving again?

Put the hand break on
Reply 3
Original post by ThomH97
It won't break the car if that's what you're asking, but I wouldn't advise doing that on a hill unless you use the handbrake instead.

But say if I’m just at a normal even road no hill or slop can I take my foot of the break or will car move? And when I’m moving off again do lift the clutch first to find the biting point or take my foot of break and put it on the gas first?
Reply 4
Original post by Tom S66
Put the hand break on

Even when I’m on a flat road so not going uphill or down hill?
Reply 5
Original post by Tdm_95
But say if I’m just at a normal even road no hill or slop can I take my foot of the break or will car move? And when I’m moving off again do lift the clutch first to find the biting point or take my foot of break and put it on the gas first?

The car won't start to move unless gravity or the engine. The engine won't connect to the wheels if you've floored the clutch (unless it's broken). Try it in a car park and get used to what the pedals do.
Reply 6
Original post by Tdm_95
Even when I’m on a flat road so not going uphill or down hill?

What if you were to stall the car? You would kangaroo jump into the car infront.

Either hold the brake or use the handbrake.
If you keep your foot on the clutch and you're in gear then yes, you can take your foot off the brake. However, if you do this, you should have your handbrake on, as advised at most junctions. Best to keep it on the brake though.
Original post by Tdm_95

Come off the brake, then come slowly off the clutch whilst giving a bit of gas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending