crorchi9979
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
On the presumption that one is from an Eu country and their parents refuse to support financilly the child while studing in uk because of various reasons (the parents are not very rich but not poor either)
a. are there any boursaries? any financial help for the said student?
b. would a part time job provide the student with enough money for at least the rent?
IslandSpa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by crorchi9979)
On the presumption that one is from an Eu country and their parents refuse to support financilly the child while studing in uk because of various reasons (the parents are not very rich but not poor either)
b. would a part time job provide the student with enough money for at least the rent?
Unfortunately you can't get a bursary if you haven't lived in the UK for less than 3 years but part-time job is possible, maybe renting a room or student accomodation? The best thing is to ask the uni directly as I don't know if there is any scholarships or maintenance-loan available. Student Finance is a good resource to ask as well.
ariadnep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by crorchi9979)
Funnily enough I'm in the exact same situation! I'm not british myself so I wouldn't know everything but I've briefly carried out research on it.
a. Yes! One can apply for a student loan which covers the tuition fees of the university. There are a few important things to note about it, such as how there is a 5.4% interest rate. However it is manageable due to a condition which states that one is only made to pay the loan back once one earns above a certain threshold. I believe that this is around 26k pounds. A lot of loans are also written off later in life. Take a look at the UK governmental website for more information! There are also grants, a 1000 pound one which the government gives and another one which is given by the university. These are only given to those who can prove that their relationship with their parents has deteriorated and if one is estranged from them.
b. One can also apply for a student maintenance loan which covers the costs of rent, food, and other living costs. The rent is high as it is everywhere in Europe, depending on your job it may not be sufficient. It's best not to work too much during your studies too.

Hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (242)
33.85%
No (473)
66.15%

Watched Threads