Can you apply for a part time study loan and then student finance

Watch
skaifoal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’ve emailed some unis and found a few that will accept me after I do a certificate on the Open University, it’s 120 credits and a years worth of studying and will cost roughly £6000, the open university say on their website that you can take out a part time study loan but I’m worried that will affect my student finance when I go to uni afterwards and I won’t be able to claim it

Does anyone have any experience with this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by skaifoal)
I’ve emailed some unis and found a few that will accept me after I do a certificate on the Open University, it’s 120 credits and a years worth of studying and will cost roughly £6000, the open university say on their website that you can take out a part time study loan but I’m worried that will affect my student finance when I go to uni afterwards and I won’t be able to claim it

Does anyone have any experience with this?
If you study credits part time (regardless of whether you get a loan or not) then the part time study is ignored.

If you get a qualification (CertHE) part time (regardless of whether you get a loan or not) then the years of study will be taken off your full time eligibility.

If you’re interested in using OU study for entry to university then I would recommend only studying individual modules (even if they add up to 120 credits) and don’t enrol onto the CertHE award.
sockironer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you study credits part time (regardless of whether you get a loan or not) then the part time study is ignored.

If you get a qualification (CertHE) part time (regardless of whether you get a loan or not) then the years of study will be taken off your full time eligibility.

If you’re interested in using OU study for entry to university then I would recommend only studying individual modules (even if they add up to 120 credits) and don’t enrol onto the CertHE award.
I should just add that I got student finance / loan for an MSc after I paid upfront beforehand (Just over £2000 for the first module). Student Loan is around £3000 per module (eg 2 modules for a PG Dip, last years module being the Masters Research/Qualification - all eligible for Finance. If you're disabled let them know as there's a bit extra if you really are. .
Last edited by sockironer; 3 weeks ago
skaifoal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So from what i understand, if i complete a number of modules that award credits rather than any certificates then i'll still be able to claim my full student finance. Would i still be able to get a loan or financial support with the individual modules too in that case? I come from a low income family so i can't really do anything if i have to pay for it in full.
sockironer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So from what i understand, if i complete a number of modules that award credits rather than any certificates then i'll still be able to claim my full student finance. Would i still be able to get a loan or financial support with the individual modules too in that case? I come from a low income family so i can't really do anything if i have to pay for it in full.
Indeed. It's pretty basic. Like every module in our case is 60 points. Do the 2 set modules for 120 credits for the PG Dip. A Masters is the final Module, also 60 credits - 180 credits = a Masters. Full student finance applicable. Just remember, at least with the O.U you have to pay upfront say £2000 for the first module and Student Finace pay out in 3 installments during the course of say around £1300 every installment. But there's also OUSBA where they can give you a loan to pay that initial fee upfront. You pay them back with a bit of interest included when you can. And remember you don't start paying the Student Loan (not the OUSBA bit) until you're earning, uhh, I think it's around £21,000. Which lets face it is still more than many Graduates are earning these days.
(Off topic but If I'd have done it again with the gift of foresight, I'd have grinded out a Trade School tbh and be making way more than the average Grad being plumber/electrician etc etc)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sockironer)
Indeed. It's pretty basic. Like every module in our case is 60 points. Do the 2 set modules for 120 credits for the PG Dip. A Masters is the final Module, also 60 credits - 180 credits = a Masters. Full student finance applicable. Just remember, at least with the O.U you have to pay upfront say £2000 for the first module and Student Finace pay out in 3 installments during the course of say around £1300 every installment. But there's also OUSBA where they can give you a loan to pay that initial fee upfront. You pay them back with a bit of interest included when you can. And remember you don't start paying the Student Loan (not the OUSBA bit) until you're earning, uhh, I think it's around £21,000. Which lets face it is still more than many Graduates are earning these days.
(Off topic but If I'd have done it again with the gift of foresight, I'd have grinded out a Trade School tbh and be making way more than the average Grad being plumber/electrician etc etc)
Undergrad finance is not the same as postgraduate.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Check with the OU about whether you would be eligible for funding studying with them without cashing in modules for a CertHE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (243)
33.75%
No (477)
66.25%

Watched Threads